4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2002 gt needs new engine and been sitting idle for 7 months. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 PM
falkimmm

Default 2002 gt needs new engine and been sitting idle for 7 months. What to do?

So my new edge mustang gt with 88k miles got hydrolocked about 7 months ago. It has been sitting in a climate controlled garage for all 7 months, with all its fluids while I shopped around for an engine and tried to decide if fixing it was worth the cost.

I can do the whole thing for under 2k, but the car has been problematic since I've gotten it. Previous owner rode it hard and we've had to replace suspension and other components. Biggest issue has been something in the fuel/electrical system where it would run rich and throw o2 sensor error codes no matter how we tried to chase it down. Mechanic claims that a new engine would fix these troubles.

Normally I would do the engine swap (invested a lot and like the car) but I can only afford only that and I'm leery of the effects from 7 months of stagnation and the running rich problem. Are these real concerns? Would appreciate any advice on what to do.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:59 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Not sure how a new engine will fix 02 sensor problems or running rich problems.. the computer wont know its a new engine, and the sensor problems will remain.

If it hydro locked I assume you mean it leaked a bunch of coolant into the cylinder ? Or fuel maybe ?

Maybe you need a new mechanic a new head gasket or a new fuel pressure regulator.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:23 PM
falkimmm

Thanks for your reply.

The hydrolock was due to some heavy rain. I guess he thought there was something with the wiring that would be replaced with a new engine...not sure.

Don't think its actually an 02 sensor issue, those were replaced numerous times.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Normally I would do the engine swap
The old engine could have serious problems, not sure what the mechanic thinks happened, rain does not normally cause hydrolock. Any moisture in an engine cylinder for 7 months could make it unrepairable. Did you pull the plugs to confirm his "hydrolock"?
What parts come with the replacement engine? Did you get to hear it run? Can you get the ecm with it?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM
falkimmm

I drove through some flooding and the engine stalled hard. When I got it back in the shop, the mechanic said he drained the engine and it knocked.

I will check on the ecm, that is a good call thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

When you drove though flooding, did you have the factory air filter? Have you run a compression test on it? Did you look at the oil before he drained it?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 AM
falkimmm

Nope...I had an SLT CAI. No compression test or oil, I wasn't around to deal with the car. Now It won't start, (maybe its a battery issue and I need to give it better charge).

Anyway, if you are implying that maybe there isn't a bottom end issue after all, I'm afraid to start it without draining and changing fluids.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm afraid to start it without draining and changing fluids.
Sounds good, hydrolocking is pretty rare, but extremely serious, often the rods collapse and the cylinder walls are damaged. It's more likely (inho) that you got water into the electronics and mechanically you could be fine. I'd start with draining the oil and taking the plugs out, soaking the cylinders with oil for a few days then try to turn it by hand (with a big wrench). Then check compression to see if the engine is OK.
Good luck!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:19 PM
falkimmm

So the mechanic said he took the plugs out, cranked the engine and some water came out. Then he ran it and it knocked.

Does it sound like for sure a rod issue, or could it be something more innocuous?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

he took the plugs out, cranked the engine and some water came out. Then he ran it and it knocked.
Sounds like an idiot to me. Water does not compress. Cranking it with the plugs out will not empty all of the water out of the cylinders.
If there is much water at all in the engine-when you crank it over, the connecting rods bend or you blow the head off. I'd still start with the steps I listed above.

Quick Reply: 2002 gt needs new engine and been sitting idle for 7 months. What to do?