4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Headlights and H.I.D.s...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Thunderball

Default Headlights and H.I.D.s...

So I'm wondering what some of you out there, either with these setups or also in the swame boat as I am in wondering what to do.

Newish owner to a 2001 GT. My headlights have the wonderful fading effect to where I am not too interested in looking at anymore.

So I was thinking about getting new ones. Yet cannot come to which ones to go for.

There are a good amount out there. I have looked/thought about just sticking to buying new stock ones and calling it a day. Or new stock-style with H.I.D.s. After-market ones with H.I.D.s. Retrofits/projectors with H.I.D.s. Keep the stock look or go with the different...

Pretty much, if you couldn't tell, I want H.I.D.s (obviously). So maybe a few ideas from all of you could help me go one way or another. Or some of you who have certain set-ups with likes or dislikes and what not.
If this is somewhere else and I completely just wrote all this for nothing and wasted peoples time in even looking, I am sorry.. I did a search and did not come up with much/anything. That and I do like to start new things to get peoples input/talking about.

None-the-less, Thanks for any ideas/info/input/discussion'ish stuff for this!
Old 05-18-2015, 02:32 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If I had it to do over again I would have gone with led's. LatemodelRestoration, and if you check on Amazon as well have 9007 (headlamp) and 893 (foglamp) plug n' play led's, I think they are a damn interesting option. No ballasts to wire up, simple as replacing the lamp itself.

There are some good (reliable) hid kits out there but I can't help you there. Seems like the vast majority are turds.

Like most I prefer a stock look as far as housings, I recently (about 6 mo. ago) got new stock style housings with clear reflectors. Also got clear foglight housings. Put PIAA brand 9007's in the headlights and Silverstars in the fogs, both are supposed to be about a 5000K light temp (they seem to be pretty close). Very happy with the look and more importantly the light output.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:37 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

DDM tuning sells quality HID kits. Probably the only thing on my car that I haven't had trouble with, lol!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:15 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Or new stock-style with H.I.D.s.
do not do this.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Thunderball

Z28KLR - Led's huh.. I probably would not have come to thinking about these.. Lol. I've always liked H.i.d.s and/or the output of them. But now that you say this about Led's, I'm gonna have to look more into this. I will have to find pictures as well.

Soldier GT - I actually have a pair of H.i.ds from DDM on my bimmer. I like them, still going strong to this day and it's been a few years thus far. Yet I got them as a whole (housing, halos and hids). I will look into more from them though for the Stang. I just can't decide about which housing's to go with at this point.

jz78817 - Why do you say this?

Thanks guys so far!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:42 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thunderball

jz78817 - Why do you say this?

Thanks guys so far!
stock headlamps are not designed correctly to be used with HID capsules. the HID arc is outside of the "focal point" of the reflector and you will get a crappy beam pattern and annoying diffracted light. If you want HIDs you must use housings or projectors intended for them.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:08 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
stock headlamps are not designed correctly to be used with HID capsules. the HID arc is outside of the "focal point" of the reflector and you will get a crappy beam pattern and annoying diffracted light. If you want HIDs you must use housings or projectors intended for them.
This is so true, if you put hids in a standard halogen housing you wont be able to see crap. And worse yet any one coming at you will be blinded.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Thunderball

Well this is awesome info due to the fact that I was going to just purchase new stock housings and buy and HID kit for that.

I did find a kit with housings and HID's, yet the housings look stock'ish... So I'm thinking since they are a "kit" that all come together and what not than I should be "okay" with getting these...? Even though they appear to be "stock looking," I'm thinking they would have been made for HID's.....
Old 05-21-2015, 06:29 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thunderball
Well this is awesome info due to the fact that I was going to just purchase new stock housings and buy and HID kit for that.

I did find a kit with housings and HID's, yet the housings look stock'ish... So I'm thinking since they are a "kit" that all come together and what not than I should be "okay" with getting these...? Even though they appear to be "stock looking," I'm thinking they would have been made for HID's.....
If they come with HID bulbs make sure it doesn't say for fog lamps. If they are truly made for hids they will have a special lamp reflector that covers the buld to direct the light, they still wont be near as good as projectors though. The only way I would use hids is with a projector because they focus the light beam way better.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Thunderball

I've seen the "stock" housing look with HIDs.. So now its making me wonder if those who have them on their car are straight stock or modded for HIDs now.

And ya, I agree with you on the projector ones. And have seen some out there. I just like the stock look over projector look.. Something just doesn't look right to me.. Yet now, after all this, I may lean more towards the projectors.

This is the description of the ones I am looking at.

"HID Xenon + 1999-2004 Ford Mustang 1PC Euro Style Black Crystal Headlights

Introducing Pre-Installed HID crystal headlights for 99 00 01 02 03 04 Ford Mustang Coupe and Convertible model. The headlights are design for easy plug and play installation. A direct replacement of the factory OEM headlights unit. Choose from 4300K to 12,000K HID kit color to match your ride.

Include passenger and driver side assembly
Made by OEM approved and ISO certified manufacturer
Easy installation.
Pre-Installed HID Kit.
No modification required. Simple plug and play.
Direct replacement of the OEM headlights."

Says euro but look "stock-style" to me...

Quick Reply: Headlights and H.I.D.s...