4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Trying to get at or near 600 whp.. Meth pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Default Trying to get at or near 600 whp.. Meth pros and cons

Hey guys got a few things planned for this winter and at the top of my list is to get to 550-600 to the wheels. My tuner informed me that I should try Meth. Just wondering what the pros and cons are going with a meth kit, the cost to install and most importantly which kit should I go with. Thanks and as always any inputs appreciated.

Last edited by Soldier GT; 08-19-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Im not sure on which kit, but I have several locals use it on diesels with great success. Plus its cheap and helps cool the intake charge quite a bit!
Cons: If the system fails and have to continuously refill it.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

School boy thanks bro for the input. I kinda narrowed it down to Snow performance. Seems as though they're the best out there right now.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

I have heard good things out of the Snow meth kits and seen a couple guys use them.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:27 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i am going to get the snow perf, MAF metered kit http://www.snowperformance.net/Stage...stem-p/212.htm

and install it next year.
the pros
cooler IAT's and tdo to this no pulling of timing when its hot outside= more power
the methanol add octane basically so less chance of detonation

the cons
cleaning the nozzle= this can be mitigated by running snows boost juice, or by making you own blend by using pure methanol and distilled water 50/50 ($15 per gal for pure methyl alcohol at home depot.)

and the real big con ...... if you adjust your tune to take advantage of all the boost cooler can do, which means adding more timing,and your tune is not designed to pull timing when IAT's go up into the danger zone (yes i said it)and there is a failure of the system while under boost there will be detonation, and since mustangs have no knock sensor it cant pull timing= boom ( this can be mitigated by proper maintenance, and by designing the tune correctly. ( make sure you ask this question)

i am planning to use my Kenne Bell tune, and utilize the boost cooler to keep my IAT's in check on hot days for max power, so no chance of detonation for me
Old 08-27-2015, 02:45 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Snow performance kits are garbage. AIS is the only way to go. Run straight methanol for much better cooling and it can be used as fuel enabling you to lower your injectors duty cycle keeping them cooler. Any tuner that tunes with meth will know that the IAT has to be after the meth nozzles. If the system fails the IAT will see it and your car should be programmed to cut timing. Runing meth pre charger/turbo will cool the charger/turbo and increase your boost 2lbs.

I ran and AIS system and sprayed one nozzle into my novi 2000 and 2 nozzles before the TB. I also had a 4 core intercooler. 90* ambient temp in the shop, 23lbs of boost and my IAT was 47*.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...FYeRHwod2GcJPQ
Old 08-27-2015, 04:32 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

both kits have the same pump (pump is made by third party) pick either one they are the exact same in operation, except that the ais kit uses awindow switch to start injection, kit costs $399 and another $194 for the maf metered controler, with the snow kit you get it all for $499. people like what they like, but both systems are good, you wil just spend more money with ais
Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I never had any issues on the snow kit I used on blue.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Why not just pulley down and forget about meth for now? I would only worry about meth when you're shooting for 700+
Old 08-30-2015, 04:03 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I think he's blown to motors already. Meth is cheap insurance. Not sure who's tuning for him.

Quick Reply: Trying to get at or near 600 whp.. Meth pros and cons