4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Springs/suspension??'s - Give me your thoughts/ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 PM
Thunderball

Default Springs/suspension??'s - Give me your thoughts/ideas!

So starting this to hopefully get some insight/ideas/reviews/suggestions on either decent to good springs to purchase or to do further more suspension work on my current setup. This may be out there but I was looking for answers/ideas more based on my setup to others' setups that are similar/close to mine rather than a general idea of lowering/suspension work.

I now have the wheels and tires I have been wanting and installed - Those being 18x9.5 all around with 255 front and 285 rear hankook tires.

I still have that nasty 4x4 wheel gap and want it gone (don't we all).

I am not looking for super low stance just a good amount lowered to where that gap is... Not 4x4'ish.

So, my question(s) or reasoning(s) for all this -

What are some good springs that some of you may have bought and like that will give a nice drop? Also ones that will work with the setup listed above and not cause any further issues such as needing fenders rolled and non-clearing issues (pretty much bolt up and go).

Has or does anyone have around this type of setup with anything from just spring work to further suspension work? If so, what is it? Likes/dislikes?

I am just trying to reach out to others that have a better idea/are there/have been there and can toss me a good way with lowering mine with the current setup (18's with tires listed above). I feel some springs will get me in the right direction so if that, than maybe which ones over others..? What would be a good length to drop - 1", 1.5", 2"?
I feel things can get iffy with lowering up front now with the 18's.. So if someone could also throw some ideas on that as well.

Like I said, if this has been said before (which I am sure it probably has) I do apologize. I just like to ask more and see where others have been and have to say. So hopefully some of you out there have this setup and know a little more than me.

Thanks for your time and reading!
If pictures will help, I will try and post some if need be.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Would think a 1.25" -1.5" drop ought to do it. I hear good things about Eibach Pro's, FRPP "C" springs, Steeda and Vogtland springs. All of the above should drop it about that much. I have had Eibach Sportlines on my car for about 8 years now and been very happy with them but they drop about 2" which is probably more than you want.

If you stay at 1.5" or less drop then you can forego buying c/c plates, anything more than that and they become a necessary addition to your parts list in order to attain alignment specs that are tire friendly.

Add a new set of poly spring isolators to your list for the spring install, and while it's all apart it would be a very opportune moment to upgrade the LCA's. You'll also be wanting to think about new shocks but if it's not in the budget right now you can get away with doing it later.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:06 PM
Thunderball

So this is what I'm running.. You can tell the 4x4 look.. Just horrid.
I've been looking towards the Eibach pro's but they said the drop was around 1 to 1.1 I think? Maybe 1.2..

But all this does help, thanks for tossing that info my way.

I shouldn't have any issues with rubbing or full-lock with lowering right?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

With my 2" drop and 17x9 wheels my front left tire occasionally rubs slightly against the fender liner when the suspension compresses. But like I said, slightly, it really isn't an issue. As far as the inside of the wheel/tire rubbing at full lock turning, if it doesn't now then lowering shouldn't change that.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Thunderball

Ideally I'd like to drop the gap out. I can't take it anymore. I just don't want any complications.

And now I'm thinking of some spacers for the rear...
Old 12-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Thunderball

Also, you said to get some new LCA's.. As in both lowers for front and rear?

And I would like to think that a 1.5" should be enough.. I just cant imagine that right now and if that would be enough..
Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Lower control arms for the rear.

I have Maximum Motorsports "hd" lowers on my car; they make a nice difference in traction, control and all around behavior of the rear suspension. Read the "official suspension guide" thread at the top of the page in the Suspension subform here. Lots of good info on various things and what makes the design of some parts better than others.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:20 PM
cominus
5th Gear Member

Dude read this article and it will answer all your suspension needs.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...m-motorsports/
Old 12-23-2015, 01:40 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I cut one coil out of the fronts and rears and while I don't have the really bitchin' stance that some of these guys do, it did eliminate the 4x4 off-road look of the factory suspension.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
I cut one coil out of the fronts and rears and while I don't have the really bitchin' stance that some of these guys do, it did eliminate the 4x4 off-road look of the factory suspension.
Hey man ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. I've been trying to get my bro in law to let me cut the springs on his '03 but he's being a vagina about it.