4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Superchargers???...Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:38 PM
Figure8allday

Default Superchargers???...Advice please

Superchargersonline.com offers 2000-2004 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L 2V VORTECH Supercharging System 4FL218-130L for $4250.....and.....Americanmuscle.com offers Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System (99-04 GT) for $5,630.....I need advice on which is better and difference besides price for a 2001 manual GT???? I'm in CA so SMOG legal had to be considered. Only mods so far: BAMA tune 3:73 bbk CAI 70mm throttle body
Old 01-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

The main difference between the two kits is that the Vortech does not include an intercooler and the ProCharger system does. If you live in southern California, you may want to purchase an intercooled system to help protect yourself from detonation on hot days. The Vortech kit is smog legal in California and the ProCharger system should be as well. I couldn't confirm the ProCharger kit's smog legal status, but if you call in I'm sure they can.

We are dealers for both Vortech and ProCharger and can provide you with the system of your choice should you decide you are ready for forced induction.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

My only advice is that you make a list of the items included in those kits and piece it all together on your own.

For instance, jpcracing.com has the Procharger P1SC head unit by itself for about $2200. Bracket, injectors, fuel pump, heat exchanger, plumbing and other odds n' ends is gonna run you about another $1000, maybe a hair more. But shopping around for deals and piecing it together yourself you will save almost $1000 over the "kit". And once it's all bolted up figure another $500 in dyno tuning, which you will need regardless (I would not use the supplied tune with anybody's kit for anything other than a start-up tune, good enough to baby the car to the nearest dyno).
Old 01-27-2016, 05:14 AM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

If your are in Calif. And Local the Vortech - Granatelli is basically across the street. We can sell you either kit. Sure peicing the kit together appears to save money but in the end it wont - sence you have a BAMA tune - we can assume you have a SCT tool already so focus on a tuner kit and Granatelli can do a custom tune after we install the kit for you
Old 02-02-2016, 06:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Granatelli Sales
The main difference between the two kits is that the Vortech does not include an intercooler and the ProCharger system does. If you live in southern California, you may want to purchase an intercooled system to help protect yourself from detonation on hot days. The Vortech kit is smog legal in California and the ProCharger system should be as well. I couldn't confirm the ProCharger kit's smog legal status, but if you call in I'm sure they can.

We are dealers for both Vortech and ProCharger and can provide you with the system of your choice should you decide you are ready for forced induction.
Ill disagree, the BIGGEST difference is the fact that prochargers have WAY better step up ratios on their blowers. This means you can run larger pullies and make more boost compared to the vortech which youll be using smaller pullies which plagues you with belt slip issues. Everyone has their preference but I would never run anything but a procharger if your using a 6 rib or even an 8 rib belt system.