4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Released Clutch = Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Revvv

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Input shaft bearing is the easiest bearing to change in the whole transmission. Make sure its in neutral, pull the bell and the input shaft will come right out. just be carefull not to loose the roller bearing that are behind it inside the end of the shaft.

Take it to a shop that has a press and have the old bearing pressed off and a new one pressed on.
I wonder how long I will be able to drive the car before that bearing detonates and throws ball bearings around the gear box.

I'm beginning to regret my purchase.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:49 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

This is a pic of an old T45 I bought off of craigslist for like 50 bucks. I spent about 300 bucks for an entire rebuild kit and rebuilt it. That rusty bearing is the one that is probly making the noise your hearing.

Name:  iNCyOZR.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.42 MB
Old 03-24-2016, 06:52 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Revvv
I wonder how long I will be able to drive the car before that bearing detonates and throws ball bearings around the gear box.

I'm beginning to regret my purchase.
You will start to have shifting problems long before that happens, once the bearing wears enough the input shaft and main shaft will develop excesive end play. When that happens it will start popping out of gear and even start to get stuck in gear.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Revvv

You will start to have shifting problems long before that happens, once the bearing wears enough the input shaft and main shaft will develop excesive end play. When that happens it will start popping out of gear and even start to get stuck in gear.
With all of the noise I am hearing one would expect a shifting issue. The transmission shifts great though.

It will be nice once the whine is found, diagnosed, and repaired. When the clutch is pressed everything is quiet. I can clearly hear the rumble of the exhaust.

Part of the beauty in a Mustang is the exhaust note.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:23 AM
Revvv

I am on my way to learning more about manual transmissions than I expected. I have yet to pull the trans, but I did find something that may be a "tell all" sign to someone that knows transmissions.

I already stated that the whine was present when in neutral. It is also present while moving in 1st.

When there is no pressure at all on the transmission, such as going down hill in first gear, the whine goes away completely.

What should I look for?
Old 04-01-2016, 06:19 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Revvv
I am on my way to learning more about manual transmissions than I expected. I have yet to pull the trans, but I did find something that may be a "tell all" sign to someone that knows transmissions.

I already stated that the whine was present when in neutral. It is also present while moving in 1st.

When there is no pressure at all on the transmission, such as going down hill in first gear, the whine goes away completely.

What should I look for?
When you get the transmission out of the car, check the input shaft for excessive end play, by pushing/pulling it in/out, a dial indicator is the best way, but in reality if you can detect the end play by hand it is far to much. When the input shaft bearing and main shaft bearings start to wear out, the end play gets worse.
This lets the main shaft with the driven gears move forward or back. The gears in the transmission need to be properly aligned, excessive wear on the input bearing and output bearing cause the main shaft to drop closer to the gears usually at an angle causing the gears to mesh incorrectly. This will lead to gear whine, and possibly even permanent damage.

What happens when you are coasting ( especially down hill ) is that the pressure is relieved on the drive side of the gears and applied to the coast side. That causes them to lift somewhat and may eliminate the whine momentarily while coasting.

What we call "bearing preload" in transmissions directly affects endplay, and horizontal alignment. And in this case we are talking in numbers of less than .010" So it doesn't take much misalignment to start to cause transmission whine.
Name:  Er6YDxB.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  68.0 KB

Last edited by dawson1112; 04-01-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Revvv

When you get the transmission out of the car, check the input shaft for excessive end play, by pushing/pulling it in/out, a dial indicator is the best way, but in reality if you can detect the end play by hand it is far to much. When the input shaft bearing and main shaft bearings start to wear out, the end play gets worse.
This lets the main shaft with the driven gears move forward or back. The gears in the transmission need to be properly aligned, excessive wear on the input bearing and output bearing cause the main shaft to drop closer to the gears usually at an angle causing the gears to mesh incorrectly. This will lead to gear whine, and possibly even permanent damage.

What happens when you are coasting ( especially down hill ) is that the pressure is relieved on the drive side of the gears and applied to the coast side. That causes them to lift somewhat and may eliminate the whine momentarily while coasting.

What we call "bearing preload" in transmissions directly affects endplay, and horizontal alignment. And in this case we are talking in numbers of less than .010" So it doesn't take much misalignment to start to cause transmission whine.
Thank you for taking the time to explain that. I think I have a grasp on what is going on now.

It doesn't sound like I need to be driving the car until I rebuild the transmission.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Revvv

Dawson, you have a PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Revvv

Is this the input shaft bearing? Is it possible that all of the noise is caused by this simple part?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0070&ppt=C0338
Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Had the same exact issue. Switched out my spec throw out bearing for a ford racing TOB. Problem solved.