4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Released Clutch = Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:57 AM
Revvv

Default Released Clutch = Whine

I just picked up an 02 GT Convertible that appears to be in great shape for its age (if you want to consider 14 years old).

The car has a short throw shifter (I have no idea who the manufacturer is). It is running Exedy stage 1 clutch that is about a year old. The only other modification to the car that I know of is a set of 3.73 gears and a drop in K&N filter.

When the car is started and the clutch is pressed the only noise heard is the mild rumble of the stock exhaust. Once you release the clutch there is an immediate whine that spins up in neutral. The whine increases with RPM.

If you press the clutch (completely disengaged) you can hear the noise spin down and stop.

The whine occurs in all gears.

Any suggestions? I am hoping it is a simple throw out bearing.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Sounds more like the input shaft bearing to me.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Yeah I would agree on throwout bearing. You may be able to adjust the noise away if when you got that clutch you also upgraded from the factory plastic quadrant to an aluminum quadrant and firewall mounted cable adjuster (if you didn't you probably should have). A little more preload on the bearing may be all it needs.

Worst case scenario, bad bearing. You didn't mention using an oem Ford tob, leaving me with the assumption that you used the one that came with the Exedy kit. I will never understand why for something as simple as a bearing, but it is widely accepted in our circles that the ONLY bearing to use is an oem/FRPP throwout bearing. The aftermarket bearings supplied in clutch kits are well known to be hit and miss at the absolute best, and often subject to early failure.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:56 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If it was the TOB it would not spin down, it would stop immediately when you engage the pedal.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
If it was the TOB it would not spin down, it would stop immediately when you engage the pedal.
Good lookin out, I didn't catch that part in the op.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Revvv

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Yeah I would agree on throwout bearing. You may be able to adjust the noise away if when you got that clutch you also upgraded from the factory plastic quadrant to an aluminum quadrant and firewall mounted cable adjuster (if you didn't you probably should have). A little more preload on the bearing may be all it needs.

Worst case scenario, bad bearing. You didn't mention using an oem Ford tob, leaving me with the assumption that you used the one that came with the Exedy kit. I will never understand why for something as simple as a bearing, but it is widely accepted in our circles that the ONLY bearing to use is an oem/FRPP throwout bearing. The aftermarket bearings supplied in clutch kits are well known to be hit and miss at the absolute best, and often subject to early failure.
I will have to look again at the cable to see if there is an adjustment. The clutch quadrant is from SR Performance. I would love to be able to adjust a bit of noise out before dropping the transmission.

I did not do the work on this particular clutch. I wish I had. Unfortunately the guy before me had the work done. I know the car and the owner, so I am not completely blind. Without me personally doing the work I cannot guarantee what TOB was used, or if they reused the old one.

I also think I have a whine in the rear end, but I need to quiet down the trans in order to hear things better. I am trying to solve one problem at the time.

If anyone here knows about the SR Performance quadrant and the Exedy clutches, please feel free to tell me how to make adjustments. I am more than willing to experiment with a few simple things before dropping the transmission.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Revvv

Sounds more like the input shaft bearing to me.
Pilot bearing?

I am beginning to see a weekend filled with bearing replacements.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:12 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Revvv
Pilot bearing?

I am beginning to see a weekend filled with bearing replacements.
No the input shaft bearing in the transmission. Its on the input shaft it self right behind the sleeve and retainer.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Revvv

No the input shaft bearing in the transmission. Its on the input shaft it self right behind the sleeve and retainer.
I was hoping that you meant pilot instead of input. Once I am past the bellhousing I have no idea what I am doing inside the transmission. Something tells me I won't be able to simply unbolt the bellhousing and swap the bearing out for a new one.

I wonder what the going price is for a trans shop to change the bearings?

The car goes into gear perfectly. I just changed the fluid out. The fluid was dirty, but it did not necessarily look like it was full of metal flakes. I have to believe the syncros are good. I could be wrong.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:42 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Input shaft bearing is the easiest bearing to change in the whole transmission. Make sure its in neutral, pull the bell and the input shaft will come right out. just be carefull not to loose the roller bearing that are behind it inside the end of the shaft.

Take it to a shop that has a press and have the old bearing pressed off and a new one pressed on.

Quick Reply: Released Clutch = Whine