4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I unintentionally slammed my stang...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 10:11 AM
EpicMoses

Default I unintentionally slammed my stang...

I installed a coilover kit on my 02 GT and now the rear tires aren't in proper alignedment. Aside from looking like trash, my rear tires are also wearing out unevenly. The guys at the tire shop said my car has no way to a just the (camber?) so is there a mod I can install to fix it or am I just outta luck?

P.S. This is the first and only suspension mod I have done so everything else is stock. I can get pictures of anything later if needed.

SR Performance Coilover Kit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/srperformance-coilover-7994.html
Old 05-15-2016, 10:37 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Unless you have independent suspension I don't see how lowering it can affect camber in the rear end. In the front yea, but the rear end of these cars are solid axle.

It might effect caster a little bit , but you would be binding on the pinion and control arms long before it effects tire wear. Make sure your tires are not rubbing someplace before you start messing with things.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:17 AM
EpicMoses

My rear tires appear to have great clearance after being lowered, unless there is something on the inside I can't see. My lunch break will start in a couple of hours so I will take a look.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:21 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

please post pics
Old 05-15-2016, 03:44 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

It is impossible to make the rear straight axle camber unless you actually bend the axle which is done in road race cars. If it is sitting left or right then the lower control arms mounts are bent. Pics would help.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:52 PM
EpicMoses

Top to bottom: my new clearance, the unaligned rear wheel and my rear treads

The picture doesn't look that back but the wear is real and I checked to see if they are rubbing and they aren't.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:09 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I wonder what your rear wheel bearings look like, or the axle boss that they ride on.

The ford 8.8 is a solid axle so the only way for them to have camber is either the axle housing tubes are bent or the wheels bearings are shot, possibly even the bearing pockets could be worn.

Out of curiosity, is the wear the same on both sides,, meaning both insides are worn or is one worn on the out side? If that's the case then your problem lies with the rear alignment. One tire more forward than the other?

It could also be that you have really worn lower control arm bushings, or something is bent.

Last edited by dawson1112; 05-16-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 AM
EpicMoses

Both side are like that with the right being a little more severe. The guys at the alignment shop said that something could be bent, but the man I bought the car from kept pretty good care of it. If I can find a body shop that'll look at my car I'll ask them to check for bent parts or worn bushings.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If it's that bent you could put a level on the side of the wheels and see right away. You could look at the car from the rear and see it.
It looks more like these tires where on the front and rotated to the back after they wore unevenly. (inho)
Old 05-16-2016, 09:07 AM
EpicMoses

Naw I haven't rotated my tires and the rears are barely two months old. Same brand as the front (Sumitomo HTR Z III) but they're wearing 4x faster.

Quick Reply: I unintentionally slammed my stang...