4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Rear end swap cost

Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 AM
sharkred7

Default Rear end swap cost

I just got a quote to swap out my factory rear end for 3.73 and a LSD rebuild.
They quoted me 1400 for the swap and rebuild or 2000 for their "recommended upgrade posi" which is what I need for what I want to get out of this swap.

They also told me because I have traction control (its a 2000 GT) that I don't really have a lsd.

I think they are trying to hose me in a huge way. The parts for the entire swap and lsd rebuild are $364 from American Muscle. I cant believe labor would be over a grand for a simple swap and rebuild from a transmission specialty shop.

Thoughts?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by sharkred7

They also told me because I have traction control (its a 2000 GT) that I don't really have a lsd.
They would be incorrect. Your car has clutch packs in it, essentially making it a limited slip differential. Only the v6 cars have an open rear. This misinformation alone would make me weary of having that shop work on my rear end

I think they are trying to hose me in a huge way. The parts for the entire swap and lsd rebuild are $364 from American Muscle. I cant believe labor would be over a grand for a simple swap and rebuild from a transmission specialty shop.
Paying more for parts from the shop is something that is going to happen. They have to warranty those parts should something happen. You supply your own parts and one of those fails, you will be paying them to do the job again. They use their own stuff then its on them. That being said, its around 6hrs of book time to R+I carrier and overhaul internals. Depending on their shop labor rate (97/hr at my shop) and part prices it might not be too high of an estimate.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Agree with the above. And yes, your car has LSD. For $1400 and around the above stated 6 hrs worth of labor charges at an average of $100/hr, it sounds like they are basically doubling the cost of parts. A markup on parts is typical for the reasons stated above, plus the fact that all businesses exist solely to generate profit, but a 100% markup is a bit ridiculous.

Keep shopping around is my advice. Or purchase/supply the parts yourself - gearset, differential rebuild kit, master bearing kit (aka "install kit") + fluids and find a shop to do the labor only. I'm picky about the stuff put on my car, so for any sort of shop install jobs that I can't do myself that is usually how I go about it.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:36 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Lol so traction control and a limited slip differential apparently cannot coexist.

Do you have any performance shops near to check for estimates?
Old 06-18-2016, 02:39 PM
sharkred7

Yeah, I got a bad vibe from them the minute I walked in the place. I was expecting around 800 ish. Plus the research I've done, I know I have clutch packs also. With 92k on the car I figured as long as the rear end was apart that was the best time to replace them. Thanks for reinforcing my feelings about this. They wanted to replace my lsd with a different one so I would have limited slip. Probably a thorsen, which I would love, but don't need as its a dd fir me
Old 06-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Find a place that does only gear installs. I paid $300 plus parts for my swaps.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 PM
chipss36

think I paid 300$ as well for install of my parts, and welding/truing of tubes,
it was also done by a "rear end only place"
I just took in my pile of parts for the build.

I was about 1k in parts, ford racing cobra lsd, moser axels, ford racing 3.73 gears, ford install kit, moser girdle, so about $1300 total, plenty of rear end for my build.

no issues.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:15 PM
sharkred7

That's a lot more rearend for the less money than I was quoted.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:43 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

That's a lot more rearend for the less money than I was quoted.
whoever did the labor gave that guy a killer deal. I wont rebuild an 8.8 at my shop for less than 4.5hrs of labor.. which is more than 300$ lol
Old 06-23-2016, 07:54 AM
chipss36

pyle brothers in bay town tx.....
about the best rear end guys in this area...
that's all they do.

and the saw my LA drivers license and did not charge me tax.

that place rocks.

my parts were purchased over time, I would wait to find a deal, or get things on sale. took awhile, to gather the parts.

Last edited by chipss36; 06-23-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end swap cost