4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Pepboys wheels?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:37 PM
usaf1965
1st Gear Member

Default Pepboys wheels?

Hey I'm 19 and obviously have a budget. I'm just wondering if cheap rims like pep boys or autozone etc? I know weight is a factor and what there made of . I have a 2003 GT . Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 06:03 AM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

They sell wheels? lol
Old 07-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Are you looking for an entire set or just replacing that one with the lug nut issue that from your other thread sounds like it might have gotten chewed up a little when you lost the tire?

If just looking for a single wheel, I suggest checking on CL. Not sure where in CA you are at but in the Los Angeles/Orange County/Inland Empire CL listings it's not hard to find them or a car that is being parted out.

If looking to buy an entire set for the purpose of upgrading, this is a purchase you will hopefully only have to make one time. That being the case, you would be better off to buy wheels that have offset and backspacing measurements specifically for your car, which is something the "one size fits all" wheels at Pep Boys probably do no have. Yes they will fit and your car will roll, but they might sit too far in the fender and look lame or stick out too far and look like Eurotrash, as opposed to looking "just right". Save your money and do it right the first time.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

In most cases, discount and Pep Boys have the identical rim catalogs available so you can come out looking like Euro trash with bad offsets if you talk to someone that doesn't know anything or you have bad taste in rims.

It's not where you buy them that matters, it's who makes them and what kind of rubber you put on them. An AMR wheel is an AMR wheel no matter where you buy it from.

Most tire shops like discount or tire rack know offsets better than most places like Pep boys because tires and rims is all they do, unless the pep boys shop you go to has a person who specializes in performance. Some do.

I would never buy rims from a straight auto parts store unless you know exactly what wheel and offset you are looking for. Even then, it's really hard to get a test fit on the car to decide if you like them or if they fit correctly.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:15 PM
usaf1965
1st Gear Member

I have sumo tires
Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Are you to the point of taking a drill mounted circular hole saw attachment, to get the old rim off?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:01 PM
usaf1965
1st Gear Member

The tire shop has a lock tool that is meant to take them off
Old 07-26-2016, 02:49 PM
usaf1965
1st Gear Member

and pep boys etc online shows the fitment etc
Old 07-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by usaf1965
and pep boys etc online shows the fitment etc
Lots of wheels "fit", clear the brakes and allow the car to roll but still don't fit right (sit too far in or out from the fender) due to offset and backspacing. Go on AM's site, those measurements are listed for each wheel and basically all of them fit correctly on these cars. If you are for instance looking at 17x9 wheels from Pep Boys then compare thee measurements listed for those wheels to some in the same size at AM. If you have any further questions feel free to note the size and offset/backspacing measurements of the wheels you're considering and somebody here should be able to tell you if they'll sit right or not.

Sorry to keep bringing this up but I hate to see somebody spend money they probably don't have for something they might regret buying, that could have had a better outcome had the correct research been done.

It doesn't really matter but I'm still confused.... Is your wheel destroyed from losing the tire or is the method being used to get the wheel off the car going to destroy the wheel? Or you just want new wheels?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 PM
usaf1965
1st Gear Member

The tire chewed up the lip but it's not bent and the lock situation cause alot of scrapes. But I want new wheels but I know I won't be able to spend as much as I want because of school, etc. So I'll definitely be careful of the offset

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pepboys wheels?