4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4.6L SOHC Rebuild Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 AM
gavetgp

Default 4.6L SOHC Rebuild Need Help

Hey everyone-
I am in need of some advice. I have a 04 GT and my oil filter blew up and then a 1/4 mile later my engine seized. At this point I am set on rebuilding my motor as I feel its the cheaper route than doing an engine swap (with a bigger better engine). Im one of those people that believe when you fix something it should preform better than it did the first time. Im looking to get help with what parts to buy. I myself am a backyard self taught mechanic and while i know that some parts will have to be resurfaced I am looking at doing as much of the work at home and myself as possible.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:17 AM
odypilots
1st Gear Member

I guess the first question is what is your goal. How much do you want to spend on upgraded parts? Horsepower number?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Unless you have racing desires,I'd stick with completely stock parts.Otherwise,you might end being one of the posters here that come on with what sounds like a simple problem but then add a little btw at the end,such as I also did these ten mods or so called improvements,etc,which complicates the diagnosis of the problem tenfold.
Many folks think that they can outdo the original engineering,etc.The fact is that these motors can go 200k easily enough just as they came from the factory.That's good enough for me.Bottom line is that these are now old cars,with no huge value,with other mechanical issues probably on the horizon-don't throw bundles at making it something that it isn't.Cars don't live forever.A seized engine is something that deserves a lot of inspection before you start in.It may be better to find a junk yard motor from a wreck.

Last edited by Camster; 01-16-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 AM
gavetgp

Default Reply

I want to get as much HP as possible I plan on rebuilding from the empty block and money isn't really an issue as I don't care if it takes me a year to rebuild. I plan on racing a lot and I want a car that looks as stock as possible. I've seen 60 year old cars that are immaculate and have original engine and miles. My mustang is a 40th anniversary edition so it makes it worth a bit more than say an 03 mustang gt. There are millions of parts out there and I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck as I said I'm doing this alone and in my garage. I can figure out how to do it just don't know about boring, or crankshaft type, rods, pistols, heads, etc... I'm never getting rid of my car and being as I live 4hrs from the nearest junkyard it's not an option to find a motor that way. Btw the 03-04 motors came with PI heads and the 99-02 motors are a tad different inside.

so any help with ideas for parts would be great.