4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Car shuts off while driving???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Jonnathan_

Default Car shuts off while driving???

I drive a 2001 Mustang Roush Stage 2 (4.6l 2v)
Took it out to Chicago (1.5 hour drive) and everything was smooth. As soon as i got to Chicago and pulled into the parking lot of a restaurant the radio shut off out of nowhere and from there it went all down hill. As soon as i parked the car i shut it off and try turning it back on and the car wouldn't fire. So i figured the battery since it was really old, ran across the street to charge it at Auto Zone while we ate and then out it on and the car fired up with no problems. I was 25 minutes away from home on the highway going 80+mph and the car shut off. Lost power and the lights dimmed quickly. Tried popping the clutch in 5th then 4th then 3rd and no response. Bough a new alternator and charged the battery and the car fired up once more with no problems. No as i was driving it the rest of the way home i noticed after about 15 minutes of driving the battery gauge would go lower and lower everytime i used my breaks (had lights and radio shut off) so when i got home the gauge was down to about halfway so i stepped on my breaks and turned on the lights, turned on the radio, and held the window switched up which lowered the batter gauge needle all the way to red and eventually shut off. (I was already parked at home). At this point i dont know what else it could be after the nee batter and alternator. Has anybody gone through a similar issue and can guide me in the right direction?
Old 06-05-2017, 04:37 PM
tasch72

Sounds like the battery itself could need to be replaced, most brick and mortar parts stores will test them for free.

Another avenue to look into would be the Idle Air Control valve, when these get dirty it'll stall the motor. The symptoms described don't point straight to this, but it likely needs cleaned/changed either way.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:51 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Did you get the alternator from auto zone to? That could of been bad right out of the box, would check them with a bolt meter And possibly replace both the alternator and the battery at the same time