4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cam install problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:11 AM
sharkred7

Default Cam install problem

I have a 2000 GT that I am currently installing new cams in. Got my new springs and seals installed and put the cams in. My left side came out perfect but the right cam turns VERY hard when torqued. Even finger tight I can start to feel resistance. I have had the tower caps off 3 times trying to get them to seat and spin properly. I am going to call COMP Cams tomorrow and see if they have any ideas, just wanted to bounce this off you guys also We are only a month away from time to get her back out of storage for the summer.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2017, 03:09 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

any chance you got the caps mixed up?, got any pictures?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

My thought as well.

(and I also agree with WJL regarding the use of anti-seize for spark plugs,in an adjacent post.Better to use it as protection for dissimilar metals,than have them freeze up and really strip out as a mess)If there is a risk to using anti-seize,it's less than not using it.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

"If there is a risk to using anti-seize,it's less than not using it." that's a great point Camster.

Back to the cam install, i know some of the parts i recieved, looking at the box i though what the He#@ happened to it.

Maybe, just maybe it got bent in shipping, take a straight edge and check it
Old 03-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Great Pa. minds think alike,though I only spent my first five years in Pa. ;-)
I considered that the cam might be bent,but then I thought that cams break before they bend?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:52 AM
sharkred7

I found the problem, I think. I miked all the cams and they were in spec. I switched left and right side just to see if they would spin to rule out cam bend. Had same problem. So I tried putting the old cam back in and same problem. Now I know the cams are good and it has to be a tower cap issue.

I put the caps all in in the same order as they came out (was very careful of that)

Came to find out when they were first installed they didn't put the cam tower caps in all indexed the same way. The numbers on the top of the towers weren't all facing the same way. I did not mark them as to their orientation so some of them were 180 degrees off. The only way I found that was I decided to Mike the inside diameters and could feel a definite offset in the inside diameter.

Long story short, I should have marked the orientation as well as the location of the caps. Live and learn.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

lol i agree Camster, even though the winter has been pretty easy this year i can hear the South calling my name.

Glad to hear you got it figured out, good luck with the build, take some pics and post.