4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

car eating throw out bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:48 PM
studerman1

Default car eating throw out bearings.

So about 8 months ago I replaced the clutch, flywheel, and both pilot and throw out bearings. so four months after that the timing chain. hopped and valves smacked the pistons. soon after I swapped motors everything works fine, but the bearing is screaming again

Why is the bearing toasted so soon?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

That's a bummer,considering how much work is involved. I suppose that it could be out of adjustment,if it doesn't have the standard factory cable set up..Some of the forum members think that a Ford OEM TOB is the only one to be used.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Camster
That's a bummer,considering how much work is involved. I suppose that it could be out of adjustment,if it doesn't have the standard factory cable set up..Some of the forum members think that a Ford OEM TOB is the only one to be used.
Even doing that (factory TOB) may not resolve the issue. I went through no less than 3 new ones (replaced by the dealer) after I had my clutch replaced. Never did get it to stop until I just ignored it for a few thousands miles...then..it just stopped making noise one day....