Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments...

I thought I would start a dedicated thread to CAI's since so many of us are installing them...

Here is my experience:
https://mustangforums.com/m_1637773/tm.htm

Old 07-29-2006, 01:51 AM
06triplevalve
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments...

Just joined, and started looking, and boy am I impressed. Thank you for your excellently detailed report on the CAI! That is my next step (I think) and I was dying to see some sort of walk-through from someone, yours was excellent. I have 3000 miles so far, and I am trying as hard as possible to wait until 5000 miles (self impossed) to purchase and install a supercharger and CAI. I have been wondering what shoukld come first, which will work well together, how I should think about purchasing a tuner and how I would try to use the tuner to work both items. In my little pea-brain it all seems so overwhelming (yes, I'm one of those carburetor guys). Your walk-through certainly helped. Thanks. Roy Ludt AKA 06triplevalve
Old 08-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Granatelli CAI on an '06 stang GT

For me, the Granatelli CAI kit was perfect for my goals with the car. With this kit you don't need an expensive tuner ( usually required ) to get HP gains out of a CAI. Taking off the stock air box is a breeze, about 5 Min. Now some of the dislikes with Granatelli CAI kit, is there insrtuctions that are sent with the kit are not the greatest. There is NO mention of the new intake hose line that you must replace ( which comes with the kit ) and the new wiring harness that must be pluged into the new MAF senser and the cars wiring harness ( new wiring harness comes with kit ). The filter does hit the brake lines but with some easy munipulation of the lines and the tube, the filter then sits fine inside the Air box without completely rubbing or hitting the brake lines. But all and all, the kit works like it promises and you can feel the difference in the car.

New Granatelli MAF "Slot in" senser and wiring harness

Pic before Install

Pics after Install

Old 08-31-2006, 03:16 PM
dbvettez06
1st Gear Member

I just installed a Bama tune [X Calibrater 2] and a JLT CAI......The CAI was very simple, took maybe 20 minutes....Remove nut holding down stock air box, take 2 screws out slide out MAF, remove intake from throttle body, and reinstall.....Pretty well impossible to screw up...Then, plugged in X Calibrater, followed instructions, and that was it....I really took my time and all was done in less than a hour...The improvement [especially in the auto] is well worth the $$ spent...There are nicer looking CAI than the JLT, but it works great...I will dyno this fall, but i believe i experienced an honest 25-30+ hp gain, and also, and more important, a gain in torque...And a great improvement in the firmness of the auto shifts....
Old 09-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

THanks for the posts. Pictures really helpful. Think i messed posting this elsewhere but any thought s are helpful . . .Hey guys thanks for the feedback on the CAI question. Called Evoperform to order the SCT XCalibrator 2 with C&L MAF Trueflow cold air intake combo. They suggested the plastic one instead. I like the price of plastic $525 vs $625. They said lightweight too. What are the pros and cons here? Don't want to regret my first customization.

Grey vert mag wheels
Old 09-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

Default ProfessoWizard, nice wheels

what kind are those?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ProfessoWizard, nice wheels

ProfessoWizard, what tools do i need for C&L CAI?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 PM
virtual_verve11

Default RE: ProfessoWizard, nice wheels

is there any reason why some one would purchase the ford racing intake and tuner over other brands? are there any benifits? do some tuners produce more power then others? or is there a max power number that an intake could make? just wondering for I am thinking of buying a cold air kit I have not decided on one though.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:35 AM
papa t

ORIGINAL: Chef

THanks for the posts. Pictures really helpful. Think i messed posting this elsewhere but any thought s are helpful . . .Hey guys thanks for the feedback on the CAI question. Called Evoperform to order the SCT XCalibrator 2 with C&L MAF Trueflow cold air intake combo. They suggested the plastic one instead. I like the price of plastic $525 vs $625. They said lightweight too. What are the pros and cons here? Don't want to regret my first customization.

Grey vert mag wheels
I just installed the plastic C&L TrueFlow Racer CAI. I chose that one because of the 95 mm MAF housing (i figured bigger was better) and the plastic intake. I live in AZ and I figured the plastic would retain less heat than the metal. I just got finished installing it so it hasn't seen much heat yet. Time will tell...
Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 PM
red_fire_GT

My first mod was the BBK CAI and I am very impressed with it. It installed in about 20 minutes and looks great. I didn't have a tune at the time but received no errors so no CEL. Works perfectly with my ram air hood.

Best mod so far is the 4:10's and dyno tune.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49451/086FF109CA684AE4989B529DB120AC36.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments...