Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Wow, what I didn't know you needed with the Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:36 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Default Wow, what I didn't know you needed with the Whipple

Just got my quote back from Dynospeed Racing. Talk about the newb getting educated :P

Whipple - $5500 (shipping in 20 days according to Whipple once the order is placed)
39lb fuel injectors - $389.00
Lightning MAF - $240.00
MAF adapter kit - $40.00
Kenne Bell boost-a-pump - $260.00
Whipple, fuel injectors, maf, boost-a-pump installation labor - $1,100.00

even the tune went up from $300 to $400 due to adding the SC. OUCH!!

Guess I better start pinching pennies.

Really wish I'd known those other parts would be mandatory, gotta polish up on my SC 101 so I really know what's going on from now on
Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wow, what I didn't know you needed with the Whipple

is that for the base sc, or the HO with intercooler?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:44 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

it's with intercooler, black not polished

http://store.dynospeedracing.com/pro...roducts_id=827
Old 08-01-2006, 03:50 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

that sucks man, I thought they were including all that in their package. I have a long way to go before I can spend over 6 grand on pure enjoyment
Old 08-01-2006, 04:28 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

yea you and I both. I guess the sticker shock has me really thinking if I want to do it right now or not. Bottom line is a I feel like getting the SC without the suspension mods to put the HP to the ground and the gears to make it more effective, seems like a bad idea. But the difference between the whipple+suspension+gear changes and what the Whipple turned out to need in terms of additional items+suspension+gear is like an additional 2k. Let's just say I was always pushing my budget limits before I found out

Oh the agony!!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:51 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

When ever I go FI I plan to spend around 11-12k between building a motor and then whatever power adder I choose. Its a lot cheaper to do it right the first time as opposed to blowing up a motor and having to nearly start from scratch. And we can't forget about cooling the beast , beefing up the drivetrain, getting all that newfound power to the ground through a good suspension. I'm gonna try to start from the ground up through the suspension cuz if I can't get 300 horses to the ground how am I gonna get 500 there. So I'm guessing by time I'm done doing everything I want to do to my car I'll be 20-25k in. But hopefully prices will drop over time.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:21 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking at the Whipple description and I noticed it says there is a 95mm MAF already there. What does the lightening do differently? Is it and it's adapter necessary? can someone tell me what the Boostapump is for?

I know it needs the higher injectors but the rest I'm not understanding just yet, so feel free to edu-ma-cate me :P
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

If this is true and the Whipple doesn't come with injectors, MAF, and BAP or fuel pump then it is even more absurdly priced than I thought before. It makes the KB that much better of a deal.

Heck, even my turbo kit and turbos are considered an expensive form of forced induction only cost $5495 complete with everything, nothing else to buy to get it installed and make awsome power.

Whipple is too late and too expensive to join this game. I can't understand why people must have the Whipple when there are so many proven solutions already on the market. I'll believe Whipple is shipping once a few people have received them, until then it's like a unicorn.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Oh so injectors are commonly part of a SC package? Maybe I'm making a mistake here.

I'm certainly not saying Dynospeed isn't offering good deals, but maybe Whipple is the problem.

Lemme go relook KB and even Saleen while I'm at it.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Saleen doesn't include injectors in the base kit, but I think some of the upgrade kits include it. The best bang for the buck twin screw is the KB. It is the most complete kit CURRENTLY on the market.

Why are you interested in the Whipple?

Quick Reply: Wow, what I didn't know you needed with the Whipple