Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cams for a 2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Jeremy@JnJPerformanc

Default Cams for a 2006

Customer is looking to change the cams in his 2006 GT. This is something we haven't done before so I figured I would ask you guys who is making a set of cam's that will wake these things up. So who is doing the majority of the cams for these cars?
Phone numbers and cam suggestions are always nice as well.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cams for a 2006

No offense but you're going to install cams in a customers car and you dont know anything about their options...?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

I only know of two people making cams for these cars(Im sure there are others).One is Comp Cams & you can go to RPM outlet.com to check out the specs(3 different cams I think).The other is BBR(Blow By racing).Do yourself a favor & stay away from those guys! Good Luck with your search!Im personally waiting a year or so for the market to expand on cams!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:42 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Same here. I have been waiting with baited breath for real word results from people that have actually done them. Comp cams has detailed info on the website about there's, but be prepared to build a custom tune for the cam change. They are not a bolt on and go deal. Global timing and advance range parameters and obviously A/F will need to be experimented with and dynotuned. Please post results if you dive in head first!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:26 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jeremy@JnJPerformanc

Customer is looking to change the cams in his 2006 GT. This is something we haven't done before so I figured I would ask you guys who is making a set of cam's that will wake these things up. So who is doing the majority of the cams for these cars?
If my shop that I go to told me they went to a forum to find out what cams to install into a new GT I'd be PISSED. Learning the 3V ropes on a customer ride, you better be giving one helluva warranty and a discount.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:12 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

If my shop that I go to told me they went to a forum to find out what cams to install into a new GT I'd be PISSED. Learning the 3V ropes on a customer ride, you better be giving one helluva warranty and a discount.
This would be why there are more than a couple posters saying > 400HP N/A is not ready to come out of the oven (unless you are building and tuning yourself and budget is not your primary concern).

There is more "Noise" than "Signal" in this system while people learn the ropes...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Jeremy@JnJPerformanc

Maybe some of you guys are new to this sport, but for as long as the internet as been around people have been helping other people learn new information.
Why not come on here and see what cam's are working the best, who is making the best grinds, etc? This is a place to learn. Many of you guys have more experience in 1 part then the next guy, and as he learns from you, you can also learn from him.
To give full detail to this question, the customer came in. I tried to sell him a procharger but he didn't want to go SC and already had Nitrous installed.
We were the 3rd shop he had visited and the first to take the time to hear what he wanted to try and help him out. He knows very little about what he is trying to do but know's he want's more power, and like the way the cams sound.
We have done 5 procharger install's and 1 Vortech this year alone on the 05/06 cars.
We have also done over 100 cam swap's in LS1/LS2 car's as we work on both Ford and GM product's.
We have over 10 cars that run between 5.20-5.70 in the 1/8 mile with stock suspension, and on drag radials. We have customer's that have won their faor share of fun ford event's including wild street, and some top finishes in Drag Radial.
Look up Mike Freeman who won every race in his class during a entire season except 2 races in which he broke during the event. Making cars go fast isn't something we are new at and changing cam's is a normal thing, just not in the new style Stang.
With all that said we have plenty to learn, and that is why I am hear asking questions.
I realize me as a shop asking you guys as general public question's look's kinda funny, but how else do you suggest I learn?
I bet any of you would rather me come on here and find out the best cam's to do, then not come on here and put a set of cam's in your car that makes 5 extra HP and now you have wasted over 2 thousand dollars for 5 HP.
Also the cam swap is something one of our guys did at another shop before he was here full time. He was just a installer and installed the parts the customer brought in. Said after tuning the car only picked up right at 15HP. So as far as install wise we do have some experience there, but again why not find out what the most powerful grings are?

To those who have replied and tried to help, Thanks.
I now know to stay away from BBR.
Again Thanks for the reply's.
Jeremy
Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Maybe some of you guys are new to this sport, but for as long as the internet as been around people have been helping other people learn new information.
So as far as install wise we do have some experience there, but again why not find out what the most powerful grings are?
I think you getting a reaction because we know we are all FOS - so it is a little like having our Doctor popup on one of those quack medicine sites and descibe our symptoms... Not good - time for a new doctor... (does that mean we don't want our doctor learning? - NO!)

New or not, we want to know that a given shop knows what they are doing. Most of us are not trying to break new ground - we want point and click, "it just works" fun... We have but one engine to blow up - well ok, sometimes a couple.

I recognize and agree that the internet is a wonderful resource that we did not have in the past and there is no reason that DIYers and Shops alike cannot benifit...

That said, for the sake of decorum, I would think this would be a "read-only" gathering process for most shops. Shops should be learning by doing - the proof is in the pudding...

Ya gotta at least preserve the illusion

So, have we presented you with a "chicken vs egg" problem? YES! - you are just supposed to know this stuff

Is there an answer? Yes, the same one we face in any profession - you have to learn to do and do to learn, the learning costs a lot...
Old 08-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Jeremy@JnJPerformanc

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't want to make a test car out of a customer's car. Every shop that can't afford to go out and buy their own test car get's experience on someone's car weather they know it or not. The cam swap's are something not very common in the 05/06 cars. If I would have chosen a cam myself without any help I might have picked a cam with to much duration or to wide of a lobe seperation and ran into piston to valve clearence problems.
I talked to Comp yesterday about their choice of cam's and they suggested a large split cam. So what is the different calling them and asking them vs asking some guys that probally have real life experience?
It's not like I am asking how to install a cam correctly, or something like that. That is the part that would be scary coming from a shop.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Jeremy@JnJPerformanc

Just to let you guys know after doing some research and talking to some other shop's/cam grinder's we have decited to go with the 222/235 490/480 115.5LSA
Also were using the 26113-24 springs, and 700-24 retainers.
This is a big split in duration, and a wide LSA. I will defentially post before and after number's once we do the install.
The wide LSA and big split should be great on the nitrous.
Thanks again for the help and look for results next month sometime.

Quick Reply: Cams for a 2006