Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

My local tuner closed their doors a while back. They created 2 custom tunes for me. Will I lose those tunes if I do a firmware update? If so, is there a way for me to transfer those custom tunes to my pc?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murphdog
My local tuner closed their doors a while back. They created 2 custom tunes for me. Will I lose those tunes if I do a firmware update? If so, is there a way for me to transfer those custom tunes to my pc?
If you can, get a hold of your tuner have him email you your custom tunes in the .mtf format (assuming SCT). I cant imagine him not wanting to help you out. This is the only way to save your tunes to a PC.

I cant remember if you loose your custom tunes when upgrading the device. DUH!

You must return your PCM back to stock before upgrading your tuner.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

SCT replied to a email I sent them when I was looking for this info and the answer to that is no, a firmware update won't lose the stock tune. It seemed to work fine for me.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 PM
tooslow
1st Gear Member

i have a sct3 tuner , how many locks/unlocks are on them , mine says 5 ?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Valgorite

Originally Posted by tooslow
I'm new to tuning, looking to get a CAI/Tuner setup but this post made me go 'hmmmm'.

First, a clarification: By 'locks/unlocks' do you mean downloading your factory tune to the tuner (locking) and then uploading the factory tune back to your car (unlocking) ?

Secondly, a question (if the above is correct): There's a limit to the number of times you can do this with a tuner? If that's the case, it seems to me that that would suck? Places like AM offering lifetime tunes, but if you can only do this so many times before having to buy a new tuner......

Can someone knowledgeable clarify? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Valgorite

My understanding was that you could only tune one car at a time due to it (the tuner) storing the original, factory tune of the car you're using the tuner with?

In the example you list below, if you tuned your friends car, wouldn't you then not be able to tune your own again before removing the tune to your friends car?

Is there no way to hook up a tuner to a pc, copy the stored tunes off (saving/backing up a tune elsewhere) to bypass this limitation?

Originally Posted by DarDan76
Just go back to your stock tune and you unlock that tuner, then you can tune your friends car.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Jesse@SCT

Originally Posted by tooslow
There are a total of 5 unlocks on the units, when flashing your vehicle that number will not change, you will be able to flash your vehicle as many times as you'd like and not use up the changes. The only time you will use the changes is when you return your vehicle to stock and tune lets say your friends car, that takes 1 changes away (different vin), now if you return your friends car back to stock and go to tune yours again (different vin) that will take another change away. At this point you will only have 3 changes left on your unit.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Jesse@SCT

Originally Posted by Valgorite
My understanding was that you could only tune one car at a time due to it (the tuner) storing the original, factory tune of the car you're using the tuner with?

In the example you list below, if you tuned your friends car, wouldn't you then not be able to tune your own again before removing the tune to your friends car?

Is there no way to hook up a tuner to a pc, copy the stored tunes off (saving/backing up a tune elsewhere) to bypass this limitation?
Before you tune a second vehicle with the same device, you must return the fist car back to stock, this makes the unit available to save the next vehicles stock file on the programmer. Keep in mind you have already loaded the original stock file to your car and that stock file is safe. Same concept when going back to your vehicle, you must return friends car back to stock, his stock file will be back in his vehicle and now the tuner will save your stock again when you flash it.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Jesse@SCT

If all 5 changes on the unit get used and now the tuner tells you "0 changes left on device", you can just call into SCT Tech support and we will let you know what steps are required to reset those changes on the tuner.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Valgorite

Originally Posted by Jesse@SCT
If all 5 changes on the unit get used and now the tuner tells you "0 changes left on device", you can just call into SCT Tech support and we will let you know what steps are required to reset those changes on the tuner.
I assume there is a cost to this?

That raises another question - What happens if after tuning my car (putting the stock tune on the tuner) the tuner becomes damaged/lost/stolen - the stock tune is nowhere else? Am I then screwed?

I come from the world of computers where having copies of data in more than 1 spot (backups) is a standard way of thinking, so naturally I'm wanting to have the stock tune of my car stored somewhere else in addition to on the tuner device - is that possible?

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?