Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default RE: So now you have a Tuner... now what?

S.T. Motorsports, JPC racing and maybe JDM use diablosport. I will say SCT tuners def out number Diablosport tuners but its not necessarily any worse.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to hottymustang

Thanks Timmay....I will look into them.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #13
papa t

I bought a C&L CAI and a SCT SF tuner from RPM outlet before spending much time in the forum. I'm having a heck of time getting the preprogramed tune to work properly for my GT auto without it throwing a couple of "too lean" codes. I called RPM Outlet and they emailed me a tune but it still throws a "too lean" code. Are the preprogramed tunes generic from dealer to dealer or are they installed by the dealer before they send it out? The CAI is my only mod. I'm tempted to send it back and buy one from Brenspeed who appears to be the all around favorite.

2006 GT
C&L CAI - Brenspeed Tune
Corsa Axle-back mufflers
186,000 miles
papa t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #14
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure if he does anything with the SF tuners but Brent may be able to e-mail you a tune. RPM outlet seems to be nothing but troble for a lot of people on these boards. I never looked into them to much but I thought SF tuners were made for cars that are completely stock.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #15
Hackney47

I'm new to this and all but I just want some general information on tuners... Are they easy to use and how complicated are they really. From reading the other posts it seems like a lot of people are haveing big troubles getting their tuners to work correctly. I have a 02 GT and just want to give it a little more pep than it has to begin with and am definately looking to go with a CAI and was also looking into a tuner to go along with. Please let me know how well these things work and if possible a good tuner for beginers that isn't to hard to use and and understand. Thank you to all. -Mike
Hackney47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #16
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Purchasing tuners

Quote:
ORIGINAL: michiwop

I just ordered a C&L CAI and SCT X-calibrator 2 kit from Brenspeed. While ordering I was told to note any additional mods installed so they could properly calibrate the program to my exact setup. These are the first mods for my 06 GT but I do plan on adding aftermarket exhaust and eventually a supercharger. Will I need to get new programs/flashes with each mod I add to keep things running right?

Yes.. that is why most people do more than one at a time..

Rex

rex7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #17
cougar24man

I'm about to get a TI CAI and SCT tuner, but my problem comes when they ask for the PCM. I have no clue what that is, and what the SCT website says makes no sense to me. Anyone have a picture of what I'm looking for? I *think* I have it, but I want to make sure since I'm dropping the money for it.

My mustang is a 05 GT Conv Auto.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
silvermaster92
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

forgive me and my "make you want to kill me noob" questions, but what is a tune?[&:]
Old 10-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #19
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: silvermaster92

forgive me and my "make you want to kill me noob" questions, but what is a tune?[&:]
A tune basically is a modification of the “program” that runs the car. Your car has a computer and like any other computer it has a program. The program controls many different facets of motor and transmission (if automatic) operations.

It controls when each cylinder is fired, how much fuel is delivered to each cylinder, the timing, it adjust the fuel based on feedback from the oxygen sensors or what’s known as the A/F ratio (Air/Fuel).

It’s more complex then that with many of tables, such as fuel tables, and depending on temperature, elevation etc it will deliver the correct amount of fuel and time it just right to fire the plug to get the best mileage and least amount of bad emissions from the exhaust.

What a tune means is simply another “program” that overrides the stock program that came with the car. By “twicking” the fuel tables and spark advance/retard it can give you more horsepower and safely as well SO LONG as you purchase from a reputable and experienced “tuner”. Brenspeed.com is a supporting vendor and I have heard nothing but good things from that vendor so you would get a safe “tune”.

A “tuner”, also known as XCal2 and a few others, is the device that holds the tunes on a memory chip. You plug it into the OBDII port (under the dash, by your legs) and it will first upload the factory tune and then download the performance tune.

Typically, from what I have gathered, is a “turner” alone will gain you about 15hp to the rear wheels and if you get a CAI (cold air intake) and depending on fuel octane, you could gain 25 – 30hp to the rear wheels.
Sonic Boom NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #20
silvermaster92
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

oh ok thanks.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 2008, cai, custom, data, generic, give, gt, horsepower, loading, mustang, pcm, sct, settings, tune, tuner, v8