Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Badazzelanore
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Purchasing tuners

I have noticed that alot of company's offer a package that comes with a diable sport or similar programmer. Is that programmer good for multiple uses (it does raise the price of the product quite a bit) and if I already have the programmer and I buy more performance parts will I need to also buy another programmer specific for that part? Im guessing you can buy and download tunes on the internet how does all that work?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Badazzelanore

I have noticed that alot of company's offer a package that comes with a diable sport or similar programmer. Is that programmer good for multiple uses (it does raise the price of the product quite a bit) and if I already have the programmer and I buy more performance parts will I need to also buy another programmer specific for that part? Im guessing you can buy and download tunes on the internet how does all that work?
When you buy a tuner and mod, you use the tuner to upload a tune into your car - I.E. you change the computer parameters so that the it knows what parts are on the car and that it can correctly balance the A/F ratio, timing etc. If you buy a tuner package (usually comes with a CAI) then you will NOT need to buy another tuner for each new mod you get. You WILL need to either have a dealer like Brenspeed or Evolution install a new tune on your tuner for you to then put on your car. Some dealers will do internet tunes and email them to you but others require you to mail your tuner back and they will reprogram it and send it back to you. OR you can take your car to a performance shop and have your car custom tuned on a dyno.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:55 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

More newbie questions. I have the SCT. I went to 275/40/19 tires. Will changing the tune for the new tires make a difference or just leave it be? Also I disconnected the rear O2 sensor since I have side pipes. I hear a lot about getting tunes from various shops. Do you contact them with a list of your mods and they email you something you can load in your tuner? The car runs very well, but has never run as well as the Roush Stage 1 in the pic with approx. the same mods. Any suggestions??
Old 12-25-2006, 11:09 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

So which tuner is better?
Brenspeed, Diablo, Preditor Ect?????
Old 12-26-2006, 01:07 AM
markj
1st Gear Member

When you get a too lean code does it pop up on the dash or do you have to run a diagnostics with the tuner?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:58 AM
panzermk2
1st Gear Member

Anybody use this? Granatelli Fuego Flash Tuner

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...30623_-1_10435

THNX
Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Lawhoc

I am new to Mustangs. I took a perfectly fine 2006 GT 4.6 V8 (automatic) which ran perfectly and, it appears, I screwed it up. I added a K&N Tornado CAI, JBA stainless longtube heades, Magnaflow high-flow cats, and Magnaflow mufflers, plus a Hypertech III tuner. I keep getting codes -- not always the same ones, sometimes opposite -- like 2198 & 2196 (rich, or sensor stuck rich), 2195 &2197 (lean, or snsor stuck lean). Usually "just" codes, but eventually a CEL. And sometimes, but not enough,no codes at all. I changed the forward sensors. I have been tuning for 87 octaine (Ford recommends 87, and Hypertech graphs show almost identical lines for 87 & 93), but I am going to try a 93 tune. I am at the point of taking it all out and replacing with stock (I still have the headers and air intake system available).

I would appreciatehelp. TIA.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:43 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lawhoc

I am new to Mustangs. I took a perfectly fine 2006 GT 4.6 V8 (automatic) which ran perfectly and, it appears, I screwed it up. I added a K&N Tornado CAI, JBA stainless longtube heades, Magnaflow high-flow cats, and Magnaflow mufflers, plus a Hypertech III tuner. I keep getting codes -- not always the same ones, sometimes opposite -- like 2198 & 2196 (rich, or sensor stuck rich), 2195 &2197 (lean, or snsor stuck lean). Usually "just" codes, but eventually a CEL. And sometimes, but not enough,no codes at all. I changed the forward sensors. I have been tuning for 87 octaine (Ford recommends 87, and Hypertech graphs show almost identical lines for 87 & 93), but I am going to try a 93 tune. I am at the point of taking it all out and replacing with stock (I still have the headers and air intake system available).

I would appreciatehelp. TIA.
Without knowing the relationship between the latest codes and components, my first guess would be malfunctioning O2's or MAF sensor.
Might be the O2's acting up due to the use of high flow cats.
Could also be the MAF due to higher flowand if so,perhaps an adjustment to the global MAF curve is called for.

Just a coupleguesses.
Good luck!
Wolfey2k
Old 04-22-2007, 03:03 PM
dermad23

I have heard from other websites/forums that a tune could possibly void a warranty. I was wondering if this is true or not?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:21 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dermad23

I have heard from other websites/forums that a tune could possibly void a warranty. I was wondering if this is true or not?
Technically that's true, but it varies from dealer to dealer as to how stringent it's applied.
Before taking it for service, most folks with custom tunes will reset theirs back to stock and disconnect the battery for ~15 minutes, which clears the nvram (memory).
The only thing the dealer tech can see is that the computer was reset (not sure about '07s but there is no comprehensive data logging to indicate that specific parameters have been altered).
If the dealer tech asks why power was disconnected the usual reply is that you were getting a gas cap open error (fairly common issue on 05's, 06's) and reset to clear it.

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?