Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Purchasing tuners

I have a 2006 Mustang GT. So far Ive modified it by adding a AEM brute force CAI, flowmasters, x-pipe, ford racing shorty headers, and a 1 inch throttle body spacer. I was wondering if I'll even get anything from buying a predetor tuner or maybe a SCT tuner and running it on a dyno? Will I get any hp out of it, or am i just wasting money and time? Any adivce would be great, thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

no help [:@]
Old 04-28-2007, 05:11 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I am not an expert. However from everything I have read and speaking directly to other folks who have done mods on their late models like mine, putting all that hardware in is not giving you anywhere near the benefit without having a good tune. I would say call the folks at Brenspeed (that name keeps popping up everywhere here) and tell them what you have and they should be able to set you up. This is not condoning anyone or any vendor officially...this is just based on my experiences from the forums and talking to other stang owners.

So whats the deal with this thread? It sounded like folks are supposed to ask about tuners in here and theres a lot of questions and nobody stepping up to answer them??

My question is where the heck are the group buys on SCT tuners and good CAIs (like say a C&L??)
Old 06-16-2007, 11:19 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: michiwop

I just ordered a C&L CAI and SCT X-calibrator 2 kit from Brenspeed. While ordering I was told to note any additional mods installed so they could properly calibrate the program to my exact setup. These are the first mods for my 06 GT but I do plan on adding aftermarket exhaust and eventually a supercharger. Will I need to get new programs/flashes with each mod I add to keep things running right?

I've been lurking on the board for a few days now and I can't believe how much I have already learned about my new Mustang. Thanks for all of the informational tech posts and insightful responses. Please keep sharing the knowledge.
This is an old post but I figured I'd mention this anyway...according to the Brenspeed website if you purchase your x-cal 2 from them, and later on order a mod part through them they will email you an updated tune for that mod for free...I myself ordered the xcal2 for my07 GTtwo days ago and am eagerly awaiting its arrival! ...is it here yet...is it here yet...

Richie
Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

nm
Old 08-26-2007, 07:46 PM
mk3_vdub

which (if any) "tuners" would allow me to download a map via labtop? is there at leasta diagnostic software available commerciallyto use through a labtop? im not talking about SEM...
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
theredpony

I have just installed the bbk throttle body and bbk cai on my 07 gt manual. i want the best tuner for performance and power. i have emailed one company asking which is best and they are telling me the sct 3rd version i believe. but they are also telling me that i have to do a dyno tune. is that true? no dyno tune places near by so if i have to do that then i might as well give up on a tuner. any help would be appreciated greatly.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 PM
theredpony

oh and one other thing i have taken my mufflers off. i have the setup of the flowmasters but i am kind of liking the sound i have for now. might put the flows on later. thanks again
Old 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
lukewarmgt

I also have the bbkCAI and throttle body. when I installed them I did not pop a code. For a while I ran without a tune, it was obvious that the car was running lean. So I got an SCT tuner from a local hotrod shop and also a dyno run. the first run with no tune was around 286hp the last run with tune was 349hp. I also had some catbacks on the car so it might have contributed a small amount. Either way the tune and the dyno helped. By the way the first run with the tune was about 338hp. So the tune by itself helps but to get the most out of it you need a dyno. And also it was a mustang dyno
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

What is the best place (price/reputation) to purchase a xCAL II tuner? I have looked everywhere and find them differing in price by over 100 bucks but dont know whos gonna give me a good tune loaded on it and whos gonna plug it into a toaster oven and send me a good tune for the old flying toaster screensaver.

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?