Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:16 AM
Toby7

Default RE: So now you have a Tuner... now what?

I have an '07 GT with the Steeda cold air intake and aDiablo programer, I have it programed with the 91 octane program andthe speed limiter taken off. It is running very strong untill I hit about 95mph then it starts bogging down and spitting and sputtering like it is not getting enough fuel. any ideas on what could be making it do this would be greatly appriciated.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 PM
jeubanks

Default RE: Purchasing tuners

I got an RPM Outlet gift certificate for Christmas, and I am planning on buying the SCT tuner/C&L CAI package. I called RPM and they said that they don't offer a custom tune, and that it was simple enough that I could do it on my own. (Which I don't agree with). I went with RPM becuse they are considerably cheaper ($500), but how should I go about getting the custom tune installed after I receive the tuner?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
jburt80

Im hearing alot of good things about Brenspeed's tunes, has anyone dealt with AmericanMuscle.com's tunes? I am looking at the SCT Xcal 3. Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
oldguy05gt

I bought a low-miles, still under warrantee'05 GT w/auto tranny from a big So.Cal.Dealer that does aftermarket add-ons. They asked me did I want anything done, and I said'supercharger.' So I got an S2 S-trim Vortec and a Tuner, a Predator, that they set it up with - it came along with it in a box, don't know a thing about it except what it is. It can modify the stock Electronic Control Module settings that control the motor, shifts, fuel, etc toimprove performance. I assume there was a modification added from stock totake care of the blower, and that's why I have the Predator.

The one thing they did wrong was set it up for 93 octane and they have the only pump within 35 miles, California being a 87, 89, 91 octane state generally although 93 is not illegal, just can't be found or worth the drive. I asked this question once before and someone posted toset ? to '3' since I can easily get91, but I can't find the post.

Another question I have is, does the 'tune' from the Predator change several things, so the GT will go like helleven more than stock already, plus my 'tune' added in astandardsetup for the blower? Or is the 'tune' just like factory untilyou start to really work on it or spend money on custom tunes from Diablo?

Another question, please. I notice the 'gas-saver' system tries to kick theshift up on the auto by bypassingwhat I assume is 2nd, and going direct to 3rd. Ittries to do it even when I'm kind-of pedal to the metal and is really annoyingshifting back and forth on its own like it has a brain. Can I make this stop without a'tune' or will turning off Overdrive mode make it stop?

Just from reading and reading and reading, I've decided on the FRPP GTA's, the better ones from Borla for mufflers, since I am in a big apartment complex with old folks and little kids that don't need to hear abig roar every timeI come and go - but I still want some when I'm out driving.

Lots of good info here. Any on my questions above will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, soup fans, forced induction is absolutely the place to start, along with a dynotune. Vortec says this blower adds 120rwhp, so if you figure that in with Fordslittle white lie about stock 300rwhp(more like250-260) plusother recommended andinexpensivetricks - you're already well at/above "real" 400 rwhp.

'05 GT Auto
Vortec SQ S-Trim
Tungsten Grey w/California
'Appearance Package'
Blue stripes and nifty Chromed Wheels (came with it)
Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
07black_gt
1st Gear Member

i have a ? what is the better tuner the sct or the prediter or r they the same thanx for the help

ORIGINAL: NVR4GIT

I am looking to upgrade to CAI and a tune. I see alot of private parties selling tuners. My understanding is that tuners are registered to the car when you purchase them and can not be used on multiple cars. Is that true? Thank you.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

I just purchased an '08 GT and I amconsidering the FR Power Upgrade Package - CAI and Tuner (plus mufflers). I am planning on going through the dealer because of warranty issues -plus I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to tuning a car.

First question, does this give the increased horsepower (20hp?)throughout the speed/hp curve?

Second question, how much more is this costing me by going through the dealer instead of aftermarket - ball bark $. Should I take the risk and figure out how to do it myself.

Third question, it is my understanding that if I go from the 3.55 stock gear to the 4.10, that will have to be tuned also.

Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 PM
pat60527

My stock2005 GT auto. did 14.02 with 3.73 gears. After the XCal2 and CAI (both from Brenspeed, great people by the way)install on 93 octane tune, I ran a best 13.23 run. That's a huge E.T. reduction for around $600. I would guess this performance increase is due to the advanced timing (hp increase unknown). Thankfully Ford detuned this great car to keep insurance rates low (comparatively). By the way, changing the tunes is very simple (87, 91, or 93), takes me about 2 minutes. It's very simple to use.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Toby7

I have an '07 GT with the Steeda cold air intake and aDiablo programer, I have it programed with the 91 octane program andthe speed limiter taken off. It is running very strong untill I hit about 95mph then it starts bogging down and spitting and sputtering like it is not getting enough fuel. any ideas on what could be making it do this would be greatly appriciated.
Are you sure you loaded the right tune, the one intended for the Steeda intake? I'd ditch the canned Diablosport tune completely if I were you, get in touch with Bamachips and have them write you a new tune. The canned Diablosport tunes are weak anyway.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Nice idea PW. A thread just for tuning.

Selecting a CAI can be difficult. You ask the question "which CAI should I get" then you get a 100 replies.

Here is a nice read. Then make a dicision.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html

Even a stock Mustang could benefit from a custom tune. Increased MPG, if your an automatic........better shifting and torque converter management.

Oh by the way, anytime you make a change to the way an engine flows air it is best to get a tune. The accuracy of the Mass Air Flow Transfer Function in the programming is critical to optimal performance.

Later
Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 AM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I just installed an Injen CAI on my 06 GT. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I won it in a raffle at a Mustang show, so I couldn't complain too much. Now even though that CAI doesn't require a tune, I'm thinking about getting a tuner for the overall performance enhancements they give.

I'm most likely going to go with Brenspeed. I've heard nobody on here ever talk bad about them, and their free tune adjustments for Brenspeed purchased parts is awesome. I just have a question about what you get. Their site says that after you place the order for an SCT X3, they'll contact you be email to see what mods you have, etc. How many tunes do they write for you? I know Bamachips does 3, and I think I remember hearing that Brenspeed does that too, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?