Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default So now you have a Tuner... now what?

I see a lot of threads going about people wanting or having a Tuner.

Lets keep the Tuner comments and help inside here.

This is the place to discuss how and where to get your tunes for specific tuners, discuss the good and the bad about particular tuners, and share information that others might use to help decide which tuner might be best for them.

Please try to keep to the subject.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:43 PM
NVR4GIT

Default Purchasing tuners

I am looking to upgrade to CAI and a tune. I see alot of private parties selling tuners. My understanding is that tuners are registered to the car when you purchase them and can not be used on multiple cars. Is that true? Thank you.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Purchasing tuners

It is half true...

As an example... I have the Preditor. When I used it to "tune" my car it downloads my factory tune into the unit.

BEFORE I can sell or give it to someone else to use on their Mustang, I MUST install the factory tune from it back onto my car. THEN, I can use it on another Mustang.

However, I can run all the diag tools on anyones car anytime I want - it will also read and clear codes from other people cars.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
michiwop

I just ordered a C&L CAI and SCT X-calibrator 2 kit from Brenspeed. While ordering I was told to note any additional mods installed so they could properly calibrate the program to my exact setup. These are the first mods for my 06 GT but I do plan on adding aftermarket exhaust and eventually a supercharger. Will I need to get new programs/flashes with each mod I add to keep things running right?

I've been lurking on the board for a few days now and I can't believe how much I have already learned about my new Mustang. Thanks for all of the informational tech posts and insightful responses. Please keep sharing the knowledge.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:55 AM
stang_4_joey
1st Gear Member

Default RE: So now you have a Tuner... now what?

I recently purchased an SCT SF tuner for my V6, 2005 Mustang. The tuner was originally setup to provide the user with a fair amount of flexibility. It allowed the user to scroll through a list of parameters and make selections so that the optimum tune for your vehicle could be achieved. After several attempts and downloads I continued to receive the ERROR MESSAGE Incompatible ECU download updates. I had to finally get three custom tunes from SCT but this resulted in the sacrifice of the all that flexibility.

Has anybody had success with the SCT tuner in it’s original intended mode? Just want to see what other people are finding.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:22 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

PW----

I am going to get the DiabloSport, but I can't find anyone who uses them to make me a custome tune. I looked at Brenspeed, Bamachips, and Evolution, and they all say that they use the SCT.

What I want to know is, who did your tune? Or did you tune it yourself?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:48 PM
NVR4GIT

I am not a tuner expert, as you can see from the previous question I had. But, my understanding from reading articles, talking to other owners and reading posts is that the answer would be YES. Depending on the mod you do, your car may still run correctly, but to get the maximum performance from the mod's, you need to get updated tunes. In my search, I have found that most companies that sell tuners have updated tunes for a reasonable cost. You just tell them what you have and they send you their tune that they have found to be most effective. Your best bet would be to contact the company you bought the tuner from, and more than likely they will give you an updated tune for a fairly good price. Again, I don't have personal experience, but after sifting through a ton of posts and contacting sellers of the product, that's what they say.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:55 AM
michiwop

I am not a tuner expert, as you can see from the previous question I had. But, my understanding from reading articles, talking to other owners and reading posts is that the answer would be YES. Depending on the mod you do, your car may still run correctly, but to get the maximum performance from the mod's, you need to get updated tunes. In my search, I have found that most companies that sell tuners have updated tunes for a reasonable cost. You just tell them what you have and they send you their tune that they have found to be most effective. Your best bet would be to contact the company you bought the tuner from, and more than likely they will give you an updated tune for a fairly good price. Again, I don't have personal experience, but after sifting through a ton of posts and contacting sellers of the product, that's what they say.

Thanks NVR4GIT. I was hoping there would be enough functionality in the X-calibrator 2 to modify one of the tunes it comes with, but I should probably just contact Brenspeed with each upgrade.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
ozan169
1st Gear Member

hey

iv got a Max MicroTuner for my 2005 mustang gt auto dose any one esle have it and are you happy with it

thanks ?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:18 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Who knows of a Predator Tuner? I am getting a Diablosprt very soon and I wanted to get a custome tune for it. I have a CAI & UDP and some suspension work.

I am in SoCal, but am willing to get an emial tune from someone who can help me.

Thanks for all your help!!

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?