Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

engine rev after shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: engine rev after shifting

And just for fun:

0-100mph in a RCH over 10 seconds [sm=burnout.gif]
Old 03-22-2007, 07:13 AM
lindseyquads
2nd Gear Member

That makes sense, Thanks for the good info well explained
Old 03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Racefiend

I've owned quite a few cars and never had one that did this. I datalogged the car to see what was happening, and what I found is that whenever you let off the throttle, the throttle plate does not close all the way. Itcloses to 7-9%, and has about a 7+ seconddecay time (it will slowly continue to close all the way during those7 seconds). This is for emissions reasons, as it is simulating a mechanical dashpot. It also does not shut off the injectors. It does it while shifting also, and is what must be causing the engine to continue revving. It's also the reason the mustang has horrible engine braking.
Is this more pronounced with automatic transmissions?

I have a V6 and it drives me nuts.

No longer is it possible to take your foot off the gas and "coast" downhill...

As you say, 7 seconds after you take your foot off the gas the engine speed drops 200-400 RPM and decelerates the car rather abruptly. What'sworse is if you manually downshift, it will do the same thing 7 seconds later in each lower gear.

Hopefully a tuner will work for us V6 guys as well.

Nice ride, BTW.

YouV8 guys are OK,got passed by an 07ROUSH last week and he gave ME a thumbs up!

SOHC
Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCman
Is this more pronounced with automatic transmissions?

I have a V6 and it drives me nuts.

No longer is it possible to take your foot off the gas and "coast" downhill...

As you say, 7 seconds after you take your foot off the gas the engine speed drops 200-400 RPM and decelerates the car rather abruptly. What'sworse is if you manually downshift, it will do the same thing 7 seconds later in each lower gear.

Hopefully a tuner will work for us V6 guys as well.

Nice ride, BTW.

YouV8 guys are OK,got passed by an 07ROUSH last week and he gave ME a thumbs up!

SOHC
Thanks for the compliments SOHC. I haven't driven an auto Mustang, but being as how autos normally have less engine braking then their manual counterparts, I would assume you would notice it more. Tuners have the ability to program just about every variable in the ECU, so it would be possible to tune it to close the throttle plate and shut the injectors off when letting off the gas. I think by default this is not done with the canned tunes. You will need to talk to whomever you're getting the handheld tuner/tune from ahead of time, and let them know what you want done. Some people my not be willing to tinker with those options.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:57 PM
gmbfly98

I've noticed that it doesn't seem to do it all the time, though I haven't really noticed a pattern to it. But, it can also be used to your advantage when downshifting. If I'm just shifting from, say, 5th to 4th on a steep hill, when I depress the clutch, it will usually rev the engine up just enough to make it a smooth shift.

But besides that, engine braking usually isn't beneficial anyway. What engine braking is really doing is a just adjusting the brake bias (in the case of any RWD car, adding more rear-brake bias).