Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

engine rev after shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:45 PM
the_unihusker
1st Gear Member

Default engine rev after shifting

what's going on here? when shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, at times the engine revs up atfer engaging the clutch. becoming quite anoying...and embarrassing!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:18 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: engine rev after shifting

how much does it rev...some increase seems to be pretty normal
Old 03-17-2007, 08:28 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

LOL....Welcome to the world of emissions. That's built in to burn off excess fuel between shifts. PITA if you ask me. Get a CAI and a tune and it will be gone.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:03 AM
jonpo
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it's annoying, but we all suffer through it--until a tuner comes along thatis.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

I've have a tune and mine still does it occasionally. I used to think I wasn't lifting my foot off the throttle enough.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Intake and tune hasn't cured my problem.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 PM
PBR_Streetgang
1st Gear Member

The tune helped a lot but didn't cure it completely. Although I do have days when I shift like a moron, so that could be part of it.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 AM
lindseyquads
2nd Gear Member

I know what you mean when I first drove the mustang first thing I noticed is the way the rev spikes up a little when you push in the clutch and is slow coming down. I asked other friends of mine that have earlier year mustangs and they said its normal theirs did it also. I had a turbo car before the mustang so I got used to a fast rev and fast return.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

I've owned quite a few cars and never had one that did this. I datalogged the car to see what was happening, and what I found is that whenever you let off the throttle, the throttle plate does not close all the way. Itcloses to 7-9%, and has about a 7+ seconddecay time (it will slowly continue to close all the way during those7 seconds). This is for emissions reasons, as it is simulating a mechanical dashpot. It also does not shut off the injectors. It does it while shifting also, and is what must be causing the engine to continue revving. It's also the reason the mustang has horrible engine braking. This is with my JDM tune, which seemed to help it from when it was stock, so I don't know how much worse it is with the stock tune. Once I get my new SC pulley, I'm going to have it dyno tuned. The tuner said he can take care of that.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:02 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Here's the datalog you can see what I'm talking about. The first 4 were WOT then 0 throttle, without using the clutch, so there are no RPM spikes there. The last 4 were WOT then depress clutch and 0 throttle, and you can see the RPM spikes there. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, but I don't have photshop on this PC, and paint sucks for making jpg's out of screenshots.

Quick Reply: engine rev after shifting