Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Turbo or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:24 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Turbo or Supercharger?

this was on a mustang dyno, but it may lay down more than that. But I dont want to get into the S/C turbo debate. I have driven both and I like the way the turbo feels. Smoother boost and I dont have to worry about the belt once I want to turn up the boost when we build my lower end. 392 rwhp and 404 ft tq on a day where the humidty was 90% in Fl. on a mustang dyno is pretty good.Plus I had 20" on my car eating up HP. We could of easily gotten 40-60 more hp out of the 9psi, we wanted to be safe so we are running a little rich (not unsafe though) 10.9-11.2 on the A/F ratio, I know for a fact we could of gotten 440 rwhp 430-440 rwtq on a mustang dyno with 9psi. that would equal to alot more on a dyno jet. I'm happy and know we could get more if we wanted, but it wont matter when the new engine goes in a few months, then we can turn up the boost.!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

GET BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You would diffinitely have a 1-of-1 car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 06:12 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

lol.........wow. The tuning would be crazy! Actually that has been done and the money vs the hp gains from having both is not worth it. Its better to go with a Turbo and N2O or S/C and N2O.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:54 PM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, doesn't cut it, show me the #'s. What's with this Mustang Dyno and Dyno Jet #'s thing. If you had a good tech the #'s have to be pretty close, Mustang or Dynojet.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

alright well I am not going to get into a debate with you. My numbers are in my sig. You asked so I told you. I had a very good tech. I actually had the owner of Sniper Tuning helping with my car. Numbers dontmean jack! It's what you do at the track that determines how strong your car is. all that matters is I am happy, I am sure there are ton's of S/C cars faster and I really dont care.
Fact is we played it safe on the tune, we didn't pull everything out of her! Fact, not woulda, coulda shoulda.. We just went easy on her! Bottom line. There is no reason to push it. We are working on a complete Stroker kit for her and it will go insometime in July/August. Will keep you guys posted. I will post some pics this weekend of the engine bay! I have the Dyno Sheet but no scanner, so I will have the shop email me a copy and I will post then.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Panzer

I'm running 445 rwhp at 6400 rpmwith 8psi boost.

ORIGINAL: carmanwelder

A KB big bore will lay down alot more at 5100 rpm (9psi)than 392 rwhp.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:34 AM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

pretty good #s!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:42 AM
carmanwelder
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to offend, but there are a ton of people who believe that if I do this or if I do that with power adders I'm gonna have this much HP. Just look at all those manufacturers claiming HP gains for their stuff. Dyno #s are the proof of the pudding. Hell I guess my neighbor really does have a 425hp stang just by putting on Headers, and a cat back system with H pipe and mac mufflers.

BTW good luck with the stroker kit.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:04 AM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

No you didn't offend me. I do agree that people do belive to much into what a manufactuer claims about HP gains. With that said , every car is different, every tuner is different so everybody's numbers will vary. There are so many factors when tuning a car.
I doubt you neighbor has 425 hp, but if he wants to belive that let him. Thats why when some says you only got "392", and they say I got 450rwhp, I just laugh as I put them in my rear view mirror.

TO let you know if I did not go with a Hellion Turbo, my second choice would of been the KB! There bad A**.
The stroker should be alot of fun. They did one to another saleen with a vortech s/c, there putting down 620 rwhp. Thats more than I want, but if you got deep pockets the sky's the limit with these cars.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

SAleen he is not worth the time. He knows nothing. A turbo will put down more hp/tq than a supercharger because a supercharger is a parasite power adder when a turbo is not. A supercharger robs hp to make hp simple as that. Look at his earliers posts so you know he talks from his ignorance.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2696382/tm.htm
https://mustangforums.com/m_2329276/tm.htm
https://mustangforums.com/m_2978501/tm.htm

Andrew

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharger?