Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
91GT
1st Gear Member

Default Turbo or Supercharger?

I was looking at the difference in power and price between a supercharger and a turbo, they seem to be around the same price for the same power. Whats the pros and cons of each?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Default RE: Turbo or Supercharger?

The search tab is your friend. This has been covered so many times it’s getting old.

Earl
Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Turbo IMO. Will cost a little more for install unless you do it yourself. Like the guy said use the search
06SaLeEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
carockwell
1st Gear Member

No question, the supercharger wins. First, a supercharger is much easierto install and get tuned. Second, you cannot get a turbocharger to produce the instant low end power that a supercharger can. Third, you have a lot more reliability problems with turbos because of the hot exhaust and the difficulty of getting constant air/fuel ratios. If you have an automatic it is a total no brainer, the supercharger is the only way to keep the power up, the turbo slows down too much during the upshift.

The OEM manufacturers can make turbos work, but it takes a lot more development time than a supercharger. If you decide to go with a turbo look for the highest quality exhaust components. The turbos have a nasty habit of working loose because of the expansion-contraction from heat cycles. It is also more difficult to get a good air/fuel tune because the speed of the turbo spool up affects the air/fuel ratio and can result in lean burn with detonation. This is becuse the back pressure changes dramatically as well as the boost pressure resulting in an variable volumetric efficiency for the same boost pressure. Just thought I would give the engineers something to chew on.

Take it from a pro, the supercharger is the way to go.
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
failurze_art
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966, Ford, Mustang

yeah unless youraddicted to hearing that turbo scream like a wild *** banshee that spilled hot coffee on her crotch while trying to shoot up some more crystal meth.

That being said, superchargers have linear power delivery which means instant power at the throttle. Todays turbo's do have less lag, but they still have some.

YOU FEELIN ME DAWG?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Wow. Boy you guys are either mis informed or just not up to date with todays Turbos. Dont want to get into a long debate about this because I do love S/C, but just some facts about turb to help you out

1) Torque monster! TQ is what gives you great 1/4 times etc..
2) No low end power? You actually get more power longer than a S/C, 2500 rpm I will already be at full boost all the way through my pwoer band.
3) Turbo though take longer to install, they actually are not as hard as you think to tune. Someone who knows what there doing will be able to do so easy
4) Turbo are better on your engine. Your using exhaust to push power, so there more efficent. You can get from 6psi what you can from a 8 from a S/c.
5) IMO equal drives, equal hp the turbo car is faster because A) he has more TQ (more than likely) B) More power longer
6) NO noticeable Turbo lag anymore.

Dont get me wrong, KB,Saleen,Procharger to name a few are great S/C but if money is not really an issue The Turbo is the way to go.
A S/C at high Hp will have Belt slipage etc as a turbo does not have to deal with it.

I have driven both and I prefer the Turbo.

Plus the sound will make you jeez your pants, but so will a KB.lol
Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005, Mustang GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: carockwell

No question, the supercharger wins. First, a supercharger is much easierto install and get tuned. Second, you cannot get a turbocharger to produce the instant low end power that a supercharger can. Third, you have a lot more reliability problems with turbos because of the hot exhaust and the difficulty of getting constant air/fuel ratios. If you have an automatic it is a total no brainer, the supercharger is the only way to keep the power up, the turbo slows down too much during the upshift.

The OEM manufacturers can make turbos work, but it takes a lot more development time than a supercharger. If you decide to go with a turbo look for the highest quality exhaust components. The turbos have a nasty habit of working loose because of the expansion-contraction from heat cycles. It is also more difficult to get a good air/fuel tune because the speed of the turbo spool up affects the air/fuel ratio and can result in lean burn with detonation. This is becuse the back pressure changes dramatically as well as the boost pressure resulting in an variable volumetric efficiency for the same boost pressure. Just thought I would give the engineers something to chew on.

So very true, anyone that has ever had an aftermarket turbo on one of their cars will know that about after a year you have to have a lot of maitnence to keep leaks and things from happening and that **** gets old, and if it wasnt for that i would recommend a turbo all damn day long. i have had 2 cars with aftermarkets turbo and i know a ton of guys at the mustang club that have had them.. they love it but they all say the same thing about the leaks and stuff after about a year of wear on them.
Saleen SuperShaker
+ a lot more
600+ RWHP Crew
Hufenstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

I just haven't run into many people with those complaints. At least new models etc... True back in the day there were major issues. I just dont agree about the turbo's these days. I guess there will always be the debate Turbo vs S/C.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Hufenstang

Quote:
ORIGINAL: carockwell

So very true, anyone that has ever had an aftermarket turbo on one of their cars will know that about after a year you have to have a lot of maitnence to keep leaks and things from happening and that **** gets old, and if it wasnt for that i would recommend a turbo all damn day long. i have had 2 cars with aftermarkets turbo and i know a ton of guys at the mustang club that have had them.. they love it but they all say the same thing about the leaks and stuff after about a year of wear on them.
Less reliable? is that why almost 80% of the cars that come FI come in the turbo form? Turbo do less havoc on your engine. Go with a supercharger and when that belt starts slipping and you keep loosing your power dont come crying. Also yes a twinscrew willstart to make boost at 2.2, a turbo makes boost at 2.3-4k and is @ full boost at 2.7k. A supercharger reaches full boost at max RPM aka redline.

Andrew
androdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

+1. Actually you have more hp longer with a Turbo than a Cent S/C
Old 04-01-2007, 08:43 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2003, acceleration, august, battle, boost, centi, hot, instant, magazine, mustang, rod, sluggish, supercharger, turbo, turbocharger, vortech