Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What's the best shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default What's the best shifter?

for street use. i want a really short throw, but i want it to be smooth and not feel like i have to force it. i really don't care how much it is, the most i 've seen is like $300 and that's not a problem. originally i was gonna go Hurst because it claims the shortest throw (40% reduction) plus it looks cool. then i saw some posts praising the MGW over the Hurst, but i looked at the MGW and it doesn't have the linkage, it's only the handle part, not the whole shifter. unless it's absolutely pointless, i'd rather replace as much of it as i can. also it needs to be a somewhat easy install because i'll be doing it myself. i've heard good things about the Tri-Ax, the Hurst, and the MGW. which is the best, did i miss any? i just don't want to get stuck with a clunky shifter. any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:02 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What's the best shifter?

word is that MGW orPro 5.0 are the best shifters for short throw and smooth shifting. Hust can be a little stiff. i'm putting in Pro 5.0 in 3 days will post the results.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

The Hurst was a little stiff at first,but it's smooth now with a notchy feel to it.
Installation wasn't that hard,putting it through the trans. tunnel was tight but after that simple.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Soonerman

I can't speak to the MGW or Pro 5.0, but the Hurst shifter has three things going for it. 1) it looks really cool - getting the black ball in about a week. Have the white ball now 2) After a little use, it does free up and works rather smoothly with a notchy feel.For me,it feels like I am racing when I am only cruising down the street. Of course, this one lasts only as long as a little ricer doesn'tchallenge me. 3) It has a pretty short throw Your best choice would probably be to find someone that has had two or more of the shifters and get their insight. [sm=smiley16.gif]
Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Got the hurst a I like it to. I dont need a shifter that shifts like butter, I like the notchiness too!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

+1 to the notchiness...[8D]
Old 09-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i'm really leaning Hurst...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I like the Hurst, it is a very positive shifter, and the throw is short. It is NOT smooth like butter, it is a mechanical click-clack. But I think this is a perfect match for this car. It seems to fit the Mustang's personality.

Sleeper2
Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 PM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

I got the MGW. Love it. Throw adjustable, so you can set it how you like it. Install wasn't wasn't too hard - did it in the garage w/ car on jackstands (see TacoBill's write-up) and I'm no mechanic. I set it to the middle adjustment on the lower side, and towards the shorter side on top and it's like flicking a switch compared to the stock shifter. I also like that with the stock shifter handle, no one can easily tell I've changed anything.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 AM
hotstud737

Default which axle ratio is best for a 2007 mustang GT

[ul][*]I have a 2007 mustang gt 5 -speed I thought about going to a 4.56:1 ring and rinon set.Then I can redline in 5 gear about 150. Would that be a good idea[/ul]

Quick Reply: What's the best shifter?