Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

anyone regret going with an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Default RE: anyone regret going with an auto?

I know leaving it in D is the quickest in terms of shifting but does using 1-2 shift help with holding the gear longer and better power delivery? in terms of getting all that torque to the ground? I like the 5 speed for the lower gears but up top it really dosen't matter too much.
If the power is there with the 1-2 shift then it's all good..I wish I actually knew someone with 450+ whp in an auto so I can see and feel how it's like instead of asking soo many questions lol...
well..I have made up my mind and definetly going to get a 5 speed.

I know the auto would be a better and more responsable choice but I don't think I can live with an auto with all that power on tap with the SC and mods.
I don't regret it at all. Drove both and prefer the automatic. With my tuner, the 1-2 upshift is whenever I want it to be when at W.O.T., all it takes is about 2 minutes on the tuner and I can change it.It will handle the power as well as a stick, each has their weak points (i.e. the stock clutch on a stick). With a decent tune, there are very few people who could out drag the auto with a stick. As far as control, if it's in 5th and I want to be in 4th,I click the OD off button; if it's in4th and I want to be in 3rd,I move the shifter back a notch; etc., etc. or I can just floor it and it will put me in a happy place.
Even with the canned Diablo tunes, my trans is like a totally different one from the stock trans. It shifts better and is much more predictable.
Point is, with a SC, neither trans will truly go the distance with out a little help. When I get my SC, I will be adding a deep pan and a good cooler at the very least. Leaving any transmission bone stock with well over 50% more power than stock is just a bad idea.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

navyscott-

how easy is it to connect and use the tuner? which do you reccomend?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 AM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGT

Anyone regret getting an auto instead of the standard??
Nope.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Yes, but it was also attached to a V6, which was the bigger regret.

See sig, happy now. Yep, it's a V* 5 speed!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I have my mind set on the auto but can't help but miss driving a 5 speed.I know it will be just as fast with mods and the planned SC but I will miss the power delivery and having the feel of control.
Though nothing beats an auto for comfort and ease of use.
I kinda want a 5 speed still because it's so much more fun to drive,especially with the gears but then again that's also a deterant to getting it..with the auto I'd be much more 'civilized' when driving and less likely to get on it as much.

I had manual transmissions all the way up until I met my Wife. It has not been a problem since then as I have been driving larger, four door sedans and trucks up until I purchased my mustang.

Then I wanted a Mustang. I got the “no auto no Mustang†line so opted for the automatic transmission. I have to say I was very disappointed with the cars performance at first, while it did have decent power and acceleration, it was clear the tune was running in Granny mode and the car was performing nowhere near its potential. A good friend of mine has a stick; if I had ridden in both with my eyes closed I would have told you they were two different cars.

Then I discovered the CAI Tune.

I am running Doug’s 93 race tune. I was fortunate enough to meet him and his portable Dyno in Oklahoma last year. Since then Doug has sent me several tweaks. I have had the adaptive learning feature disabled, have my torque converter locking at 40MPH in second gear, and have made tweaks to the OD settings so the car no longer shifts into OD unless I’m doing at least 55MPH. Combined with the new shift points, my car drives exactly like I would drive a stick with the exception that I never miss a shift and am not bothered in traffic. I gave my friend with a manual a ride, and he was shocked with how hard the car pulled and how quickly it shifted. His exact words were “holy chitâ€.

As for controlling the auto, this is something I learned to do a long time ago. Auto’s do not drive you, if you know your cars shifting schedule well you can easily force a shift or delay one by utilizing your gas pedal. Then you have the selector in case you want to force a lower gear (I no longer do this since getting the tune). I have had the occasional “you got an automatic mustang†line from friends or coworkers, but a quick drive shuts them up real fast when she barks the tires shifting into 3’rd around 60MPH!

In short, I love my Mustang, I love the automatic transmission, and I would not trade it for a manual under any circumstances. Once I get her blown I am sure I will come to appreciate the transmission even more. Not to mention my ’67 GTA badges would not work on a manual!

Tim
Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

First of all, ^^^excellent post^^^
In reply to Thief of Hearts-
"So simple, even a caveman could do it." haha
But seriously, I have the Diablosport and it's great. You really can't go wrong with either the SCT or the Diablosport. there are certain features that are unique to each tuner and have been covered in many other threads. Do a search for Diablo vs. SCT, I believe there's a good thread there somewhere. Most people on here will advise you to go with whatever your local performance shop supports.
I look at it like this, unless you are getting some very serious modifications done, just go with which ever one you want. With most common bolt-ons, you can easily get email tunes from either Brenspeed or Bamachips (the two most popular). Brenspeed deals primarily with SCT and Bama does both. Oh and Brent is Brenspeed and Doug is Bamachips. You'll be glad you dealt with either one of themwhen and if you do.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:43 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

nope, dont regret anything bc i have a 5 spd. lol.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 PM
case ace
1st Gear Member

Had second thoughts thinking I was losing some speed,until I read on the forum here that unless you are quite the "regular" at the track, the autos beat the manuals every time. Put a 93 Brenspeed tune on it and like the other guy said - it barks in third. No regrets!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

No regrets at all. And yes, I've beaten a manual too..easily I might add. Of course I had
a CAI/tune. He had me just by a fender at the launch..but once my rpm's got up to 4000
or so I pulled ahead by a fender. Butwhen that BAMA tuned auto kicked into 2nd it was c'ya!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: dirtydeedsinc

I like my transmission under the car instead of trailing behind it.

Quick Reply: anyone regret going with an auto?