Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

5 speed owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:59 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 5 speed owners

+1.
5 Spd. or No spd.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 AM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

I love being able to push in the clutch and rev it up when I need to(I dont use the horn anymore). An auto isn't fun IMO......all you do is push the gas to the floor....any 15 year old girl can do that[8D]
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

+999999999999999999999999 Manual FTW!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

any of you 5 speeders think about or actually want an auto instead? with so many threads on the auto it made me curious of what all you manual drivers are thinking when it comes to the tranny
option.from the looks of things though,auto owners seem very happy with their purchase.
IMO, all these threads on the "auto" is like all the threads on "do you regret buying a V6". It is because so many auto drivers are still not sure about their decision. They're looking for positive re-inforcement. What's missing for them is the fun factor (the very reason they bought a Mustang in the first place). When I read their posts it goes generally something like: "I bought it 'cause my wife/gf couldn't drive a stick, but now I love it"; translation: I learned to love the auto, something is still missing in my life but it was a choice - the wife/gf or the car. Listen, there are a alot more women like Margarita Girl than us "real men" like to believe. These women know it's your daily driver so they're looking out for they're own best interests - but if it was her car ..... hmmmmm. How's this: "The auto is so much faster at the track. I beat manuals all the time"; I'll bet 90% ofall Mustang owners will never see the track during their entire ownership of the car - and that includes most of the people on this board - and if they do, it'll be less than 5 times a year. So for 360 days a year thereare no jollies to get, no skills to improve - just get in the car, shift into drive, go to the grocery store. I'm sure all you manual guys will back me up when I say that I findreasons togo to the store. Crap, I get into the car and think about all the things Ican improvein my own personal skillsets and talent. This car is a torque monster and withthe clutch andstick, I control every footpound. Jesus, what a kick in the a$$. Sure, it's a pain in HEAVY traffic but it's a pain even for the auto people. And besides, the stock clutch in our S197s is relatively light and really smooth compared to earlier models like my 2001 SN95. And how many people (like me in my first S197) drove off the lot with an auto because manuals are just not that readily available - but at least the color and interior package was right?

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I could go on and on about the daily driver fun factor. Thanks for reading.

John
Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I've driven manuals for over 30 years and recently the wife talked me into buying an auto Hemitruck for a DD. All I can say is yech. Autos are friggin no fun at all. [:'(]
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

the only time I regret getting a 5 speed is when I'm bracket racing. The auto's are much more consistent but less fun.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06VistaBlueGT

the only time I regret getting a 5 speed is when I'm bracket racing. The auto's are much more consistent but less fun.
+1. For weekend cruising the 5 speed is ahoot. But at the dragstrip it's a problem. Then again, my son is pretty consistent with it, so maybe it's just me...

John
Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

When we start the process of shopping for a new car, the first criteria a car has to meet is that it MUST be available with a stick-shift. Otherwise we look elsewhere. Not just the 'fun' cars, either. All of them. No if's, and's, or but's.

Norm
Old 02-04-2008, 06:24 PM
05CLASSIC
2nd Gear Member

Their are times, although very seldom, I wish I got an auto. But nothing beats running threw the gears on an open road, down shifting and listening to the exhaust and just knowing that you are in control of this beast of a car. I love the feeling. And no, my wife does not drive it and has not learned to drive it-----yet.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

With the Stick.....Man and Machine form a Bond, that's hard to explain.

But it's FUN...FUN....FUN!!!!!!
Took the words right out of my mouth. And you are in so much more control... You just have to know what I'm talking about to understand. I have never wished I got an auto

Quick Reply: 5 speed owners