Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New Gears...and more

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:42 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

Default New Gears...and more

Ok, I've been holding off for 4-5 months now, but yesterday I finally had FRPP 4.10 gears installed. I have been a little worried with all the talk of gear whine, but 24 hours and 150 miles later, every things great! I had them installed at a local dealer, which I know costs more, but I was garranteed no whine. To top it off I installed FRPP axil back stingers. It's like a whole new car, and the gears really get the car up to dance quick! I love the sound and look of the mufflers.

One of the best things about the gear mod is the wife really can't tell I'll see how long before she notices the mufflers....

now what should I install next.........

Old 04-08-2008, 04:47 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Gears...and more

haha i bet the wife would notice the stingers pretty soon
Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

4.10s FTW!

How about a short throw shifter next. Or, if you want to spend some bigger dollars, how about springs and dampers.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

The shifter might be hard to hide

I've thought of springs, but I don't want to make the ride too rough...any comments on this? I do like to take it on trips out of town once and a while, and I don't want to feel every bump.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

if the wife doesn't drive the car, install the MGW shifter and use the stock boot and handle. it'll actually be quieter than stock if the install is right and there won't be any way to tell anything is different unless she drives the car. i'm guessing she doesn't, or else she would have noticed the 4.10's...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

She has been known to "Steal" it once and a while, short trips to the gym and such. I don't think she drives it enough to notice the gears...now that exhaust....that might take some 'splainin. https://mustangforums.com/micons/m9.gif
Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

If you take her with you on the Interstate.....She might notice that you keep saying.......... "What"
Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Hey if you don't mind me asking how much you pay for the gear install at the dealer???
Old 04-17-2008, 03:16 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

Well after reading all the nightmare "Whine" stories I was concerned about even installing gears. My first quote was from a "Transmission & Gear" place - $430 + Parts, but I didn't feel the vibe from the guy that's used to replacing the tranny and rear end on that '89 F150. Next quote was from a Performance Speed shop called Big 3 Auto - $600 + Parts. This was a quality shop, who has been featured in the Mustang Mags, but they work on all brands, and while I would use then to install a supercharger, I was really spooked by not having a expert in 'stangs install gears. I really wanted to make sure this was done at a place that knew what they were doing, especially with Mustangs, so I researched local dealerships. One in particular has a "Performance Zone" within their service department. I called them and was quoted $800 including parts. When I called up to discuss, I found out the service manager had a 06 GT with Gears, CAI, Tune, and various Rouch mods. I felt a little more confident and went with them. I know I could have saved money, but that was over 500 miles ago and no whine at all. So the story of whine with 4.10's has more to do with install then anything else. I have heard Motive Gears are known for that, but I was told with the right install that won't happen either. The problem is the do have a slightly different install technique then FRPP Gears ("A" not "M").

This is the most impressive Mod i have installed, it's like driving a completely different car. I HIGHLY recommend 4.10 gears!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Cool thanks, glad they did a good job

Quick Reply: New Gears...and more