Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 Mustang starts, chokes, then dies!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 AM
2006 RF Mustang

Default 2006 Mustang starts, chokes, then dies!

i own a 2006 mustang gt. i've recently experienced a problem (about a month ago) i started my car and less than a minute later it started choking and just died!! i presumed the fuel gauge was faulty and got some gas but it didn't work [:@]i took it to the dealer they told me i had a problem with the fuel pimp program and they've reseted the cams!!! it worked fine but just yesterday the same problem happened again ..... could anyone relate to this or has an idea of what happened????

keep in mind that i installed K&N intake but while installing the bracket i broke the bolts inside the "casing on top of the cams" (not sure what its called!!) so i had to take out the "casing" take the bolts out with a screw extractor, get a new gasket and complete installation. does this have to do with my problem? i could have moved the (what i think is called) camshaft while assembling....please help i'm desprete

thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: 2006 Mustang starts, chokes, then dies!

ORIGINAL: 2006 RF Mustang

i own a 2006 mustang gt. i've recently experienced a problem (about a month ago) i started my car and less than a minute later it started choking and just died!! i presumed the fuel gauge was faulty and got some gas but it didn't work [:@]i took it to the dealer they told me i had a problem with the fuel pimp program and they've reseted the cams!!! it worked fine but just yesterday the same problem happened again ..... could anyone relate to this or has an idea of what happened????

keep in mind that i installed K&N intake but while installing the bracket i broke the bolts inside the "casing on top of the cams" (not sure what its called!!) so i had to take out the "casing" take the bolts out with a screw extractor, get a new gasket and complete installation. does this have to do with my problem? i could have moved the (what i think is called) camshaft while assembling....please help i'm desprete

thanks
I think you are confused what the cams are cause nothing with an CAI deals with anything that has to do with CAMS. You hook it to the TB and the sidewall and that is about it...
Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Have pics of what you did?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:40 AM
2006 RF Mustang

this is a pic of the hassle i faced while attaching the bracket!! the arrows show where i broke the screws and had to extract them. im no expert but what are those parts that iv exposed and if i moved them would that mess up the car??

[IMG]local://upfiles/95165/C4526BD96E9A4C8E8CBAA1B1CDD3D59B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Thats the most indepth CAI install ive ever seen. -Jon
Old 04-13-2008, 08:14 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Ok..so let me repeat what you said, just so I am sure what your asking...

You were installing your CAI, and while doing it, managed to break the two cam/valve cover bolts off. To extract the broken screws, you completely removed the Cam cover and then after re-assembly, you got some problems.

Ok... if thats the case, first thing to do, is recheck all your electrical connections that are outside the cam/valve cover you moved during the valve cover removal. Make sure they are all properly seated and tight. Secondly, I would double check that the MAF sensor insert that you put into the CAI is properly connected and is facing the correct direction. Just remove the two screws on the MAF, pull the insert and the part with the opening should be facing the filter. I would also maybe have a second set of eyes look at what I did while I rechecked. Sometimes we see what we think is there, instead of what really is. DO NOT REOPEN THAT COVER AGAIN. No offense, but it sounds like you may be in a bit over your head here. If everything that you checked above is ok, then my suggestion is to take it back to the dealer again, and tell them the problem still exists.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
jwineco5
1st Gear Member

That CAI looks rough..
Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 AM
baker 46
1st Gear Member

WOW!!!

I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty so I do most of my own mods (lca,udp,cmvd,cai) but I would never, ever, ever, take that cover off without a bada$$ mechanic next to me.

Take it to the dealer!!!!

BTW, how did you come to touch those bolts during a cai install? Thank god I bought a JLT.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Tjeppelin
1st Gear Member

GT bob is right its probably something electrical taking the valve cover off is not going to affect anything unless something might have fallen inside, you probably unhooked a wire while taking it off and forgot to hook it up again Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 AM
sandmanstang

I'd check the MAF sensor. Prolly not the problem though. I got water in my stock air box and blew out the MAF. It was dying like that after starting but would die after only a second or two, not a minute. I went to a junkyard and got one off a dead S197 (R.I.P.). Worked fine after that. Pain in the butt. about a month later, got my C&L CAI. Life is good...except my differential has a seal leak now

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang starts, chokes, then dies!