Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Problem with alum. driveshaft.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 PM
STi Rob
1st Gear Member

Default Problem with alum. driveshaft.

As the title says Im having a problem with my alum. driveshaft vibrating at speeds above 80mph. The shop where I purchased and had the driveshaft installed has been very helpful but the problem still persists. They even replaced the shaft with a new one but the problem remained the same. Im at the point where Im about to give up on the shaft and go back to the factory 2 piece.I know several people who have the same shaft as I do installed by the same shop and they have no problems whatsoever, I probably just have one of those few cars that has a tendency to vibrate. If anyone has any advice as to what can be done to stop the vibration I would greatly appreciate it.

Rob
Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with alum. driveshaft.

I'd like to know what to do as well, because my one-piece aluminum Dynotech driveshaft makes noise ONLY right around the 80 MPH mark andif Iaccelerate or slow down itgoes away. It's a loud rotational noise that sounds like an ice maker on a refrigerator, haha. Otherwise mineis quiet like stock. My installer blames it onmy Steeda Street/Competition Adjustable Upper Control Arm (Part #555-4109). He tells me they don't like that 3rd link and use BMR. Steeda tells me it's not installed correctly but my installer states my UCA is too close to my gas tank and he doesn't want to bend the tank.

Do you know what brand your aluminum driveshaft is?

Do you have the stock upper control arm or an aftermarket one installed?

Also, my installer is telling me he couldn't install a rear driveshaft safety loop because it fit too tight, so I only have a front safety loop. He said sometimes they fit and sometimes they don't. Who knows what's the truth!

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you out with your issue!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:08 AM
STi Rob
1st Gear Member

My driveshaft is a Coast. Im still using the factory uca and the car is not lowered. My vibration starts at about 80mph and progressively gets worse as speed increases.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:25 AM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

My noise actually goes away when I'm not around 80 MPH, so that sucks that yours gets progressively worse.

And mine made noise before I installed lowering springs. All I had done was lower control arms and an adjustable upper control arm.

To me, the Coast driveshaft almost looks the same as the Dynotech.

I hope someone chimes in and helps you out.

Good luck man!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 AM
STi Rob
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the support Mike. On another Forum a member suggested that I get an adjustable uca but I dont know if I want to gamble and spend another $300 just to find out that might not be the problem. Whatever info I dig up I will be sure and post here also.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 AM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

Have you tried rotating it 90 degrees at the flange? I read it has to be in the exact locating as the original or you will get vibration. I
Old 05-18-2008, 07:21 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I have a Shaftmasters 3.5" aluminum shaft with Vogtland lowering springs, J&M adjustable UCA with J&M billet LCA's. My car is very smooth right up until 85 or so. The first time I went up over 100 I couldn't even see out of the rearview mirror due to the vibration. It's more of a high frequency buzzing type of vibration that is there at high speed.
I've read that adjusting the pinion angle can help eliminate it and with the Spydershaft, disconnecting the shaft and rotating it's mount 180 degrees cures it. I haven't tried either one of these on my car yet to see if either one will get rid of the vibration.
Anyone else try doing these to cure vibration issues? I'd like to know what the perfect setting for pinion angle is and how far off the original setting was.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:24 AM
STi Rob
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

I have a Shaftmasters 3.5" aluminum shaft with Vogtland lowering springs, J&M adjustable UCA with J&M billet LCA's. My car is very smooth right up until 85 or so. The first time I went up over 100 I couldn't even see out of the rearview mirror due to the vibration. It's more of a high frequency buzzing type of vibration that is there at high speed.
I've read that adjusting the pinion angle can help eliminate it and with the Spydershaft, disconnecting the shaft and rotating it's mount 180 degrees cures it. I haven't tried either one of these on my car yet to see if either one will get rid of the vibration.
Anyone else try doing these to cure vibration issues? I'd like to know what the perfect setting for pinion angle is and how far off the original setting was.

It Sounds like you have the exact same issue I have. At about 100mph I also can not see out my rearview mirror due to vibration. Ive also noticed thatthe vibration gets a little worse when I let off the gas and start decelerating (no brake just coasting clutch in or out). The shop I go to has tried turning the shaftwith no success so they replaced the shaft altogether but that didnt help either. Im pretty sure they tried every trick, they worked on the car all day. Theyve installed ALOT of driveshafts and the only one they claim to have any problems with was one spydershaft and they were able to fix that (I actualy talked to the owner of the car).
Old 05-18-2008, 08:35 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Well if you figure out what is different with your car let me know. I think I got 1 of those too. I tried a couple different brands of 1 piece aluminum driveshafts both with bad results. I had given up on it until I talked to Ron (Spyder7724). He makes an aluminum driveshaft and he has an automatic. This was quite a while ago and the 1 pieces were new. I just figured anyone with an auto and 1 piece probably wasn't driving as hard or fast as I was and didn't notice the problem. Ron assured me, done right there would be no problems with his driveshaft. He installed it for me, we test drove it and all was great! I've been driving it hard ever since. My recommendation is to contact Ron, I bet his driveshaft costs less too. -Joe
Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 PM
STi Rob
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer

Well if you figure out what is different with your car let me know. I think I got 1 of those too. I tried a couple different brands of 1 piece aluminum driveshafts both with bad results. I had given up on it until I talked to Ron (Spyder7724). He makes an aluminum driveshaft and he has an automatic. This was quite a while ago and the 1 pieces were new. I just figured anyone with an auto and 1 piece probably wasn't driving as hard or fast as I was and didn't notice the problem. Ron assured me, done right there would be no problems with his driveshaft. He installed it for me, we test drove it and all was great! I've been driving it hard ever since. My recommendation is to contact Ron, I bet his driveshaft costs less too. -Joe
Car goes back to the shop wed. I will post what we find.

Rob

Quick Reply: Problem with alum. driveshaft.