Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Induction system cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Default Induction system cleaning

just came back from getting the oil changed on my stang and the dealer asked if my car had the 30,000 mile service done. i just installed new rubber and had the front-end aligned, just had the tranny rebuiltwith new tanny fluid, and had the fuel pump and filter replaced. Since the car still has a hesitation when accelerating I was wondering if the induction system could be the cause of the problem. if so, how hard is it to do myself? Dealer wants $145 to do it.

Thanks for the reading....
Old 06-23-2008, 08:06 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Induction system cleaning

you might try cleaning the maf sensor, change the air filter, and clean out the throttle body and intake w/ some carb cleaner, just spray it in the PCV hose while the car is running and giving it some throttle. that made my car accellerate smoother, idk if that's your problem, but cleaning out the intake couldnt hurt. you can also add some fuel injector cleaner, i use pro-guard from techron.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Is there a procedure sticky somewhere that details the proper way to clean the MAF sensor? I bought some MAF Sensor cleaner and the can says to consult the maintenance manual for the correct procedure for cleaning....
Old 06-24-2008, 04:51 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Remove it, spray, let it air dry, and reinstall. And make sure it's installed with the correct orientation.
What is the exact nature of the hesitation, e.g., WOT from a standstill, WOT froma roll, or POT for each?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: ski

Remove it, spray, let it air dry, and reinstall. And make sure it's installed with the correct orientation.
What is the exact nature of the hesitation, e.g., WOT from a standstill, WOT froma roll, or POT for each?
It's all of the above.... dealer told me the originally it was an issue with the fuel pump that was corrected with the TSB. It was done by Ford and still have the issue. Dealer now recommends that the entire induction system be cleaned.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

If the hesitation has been happening since the car was new, then chalk it up to the throttle nanny that's programmed into the stock tune. The only way to eliminate it is with a modded tune. If you go this route, then also suggest installing a CAI for additional power.
Ifthe hesitationstarted recently, then follow up on onederful100's cleaning recommendations. If the problem persists, then dump a can of Seafoam into the tank.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:55 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

If the hesitation has been happening since the car was new, then chalk it up to the throttle nanny that's programmed into the stock tune. The only way to eliminate it is with a modded tune. If you go this route, then also suggest installing a CAI for additional power.
Ifthe hesitationstarted recently, then follow up on onederful100's cleaning recommendations. If the problem persists, then dump a can of Seafoam into the tank.
I bought the car with just under 34k miles on it. The problem has been there for as long as I have owned it.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:45 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

In additionto the other suggestions, also try the following:

(1) Disconnect the battery's negative cable for 15 minutes, and reconnect it. This wipes the ECM's memory clean of anyupdated parameters due to conservative driving habits, which may have reduced performance.

(2) Recalibrate the gas pedal & throttle plate by turning the ignition key to the ON position(do not start the engine), wait until the dashboard lights stop flashing and the chimestops beeping, smoothly press the gas pedal to the floor while counting 1001-1002-1003, quickly release the gas pedal, wait 6 seconds, turn the ignition key to the OFF position, wait 6 seconds, and repeat the process 2 more times.

Ifthese and the cleaning suggestions in the other posts fail tofixyour problem, then a modded tune(and CAI) is the way to go.My S197 GThad the same hesitation problemswhen it was brand new. Aftera fewmonths of frustrated driving Iinstalled a tune & CAI. The car was a differentanimal after that. No more hesitation, more power, and much crisper throttle response.And I've never looked back.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

In additionto the other suggestions, also try the following:

(1) Disconnect the battery's negative cable for 15 minutes, and reconnect it. This wipes the ECM's memory clean of anyupdated parameters due to conservative driving habits, which may have reduced performance.

(2) Recalibrate the gas pedal & throttle plate by turning the ignition key to the ON position(do not start the engine), wait until the dashboard lights stop flashing and the chimestops beeping, smoothly press the gas pedal to the floor while counting 1001-1002-1003, quickly release the gas pedal, wait 6 seconds, turn the ignition key to the OFF position, wait 6 seconds, and repeat the process 2 more times.

Ifthese and the cleaning suggestions in the other posts fail tofixyour problem, then a modded tune(and CAI) is the way to go.My S197 GThad the same hesitation problemswhen it was brand new. Aftera fewmonths of frustrated driving Iinstalled a tune & CAI. The car was a differentanimal after that. No more hesitation, more power, and much crisper throttle response.And I've never looked back.
I appreciate the help and advice. i will try these things either tonight or tomorrow after work.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 AM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

Also, with a tune you can actually blip the throttle to do a double clutch for a downshift. As it is now, your stock tune probably holds the throttle open and slowly lets it come back to idle ( about 6 seconds) when you lift the throttle from speed. Still won't be like the old days, but a huge improvement over stock.

Go for the intake and tune, you'll unleash the beast that's held back from the factory.

cheap advice from a former USAF PMEL puke!

Quick Reply: Induction system cleaning