Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Tune Review: Brenspeed 93 Octane vs. BamaChips 93 Race

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 AM
provofam
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input, I love the Brenspeed 93 tune and I especially like Brenspeed's customer service. I wonder what how their custom tunes compare. I'm hoping down the road to have them install a Comp Thumpr Cam and have them put a custom tune on it at that time. They are relatively close to me (about 2 hours away) so it wouldn't be too tough to setup. I definitely want to try my 91 tune after reading some of your earlier comments.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

this is all very subjective. we need some numbers

here are my dyno numbers with a bama 93 race tune, on my 08 gt, manuel, with CL street CAI, and stinger axle backs:

max hp:

max torque:
Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

So I put on my C&L Racer and loaded the Brenspeed 93 tune. One word: awesome.

Please note: I have been running 93 exclusively for almost 6500 miles now. I have put 7000 miles on the car since I bought it new in August.

The throttle is nice and touchy now. I got that sick rush of power above 4000 rpms that actually kept me pinned to the back of the seat as I *really* tried to combat the acceleration forces... It was awesome.

It took about 15 minutes before the car seemed adjusted to the tune as far as I could tell....something just seemed a bit off until about that point. Now it's incredible. Somehow, the car rides much smoother than stock. Idle is smoother. The exhaust note seems to have been amplified and evened out. The overall result is a new awareness of my LoudMouths, especially on the highway (I can hear my car!) and at WOT. WOT sounds so badass now. Rev-matching on downshifts is GREATLY improved due to the new responsiveness of the throttle. I did notice that low end torque is no longer felt in such a jerky way as with the stock, but it seems to be there nicely. I can tell there's an increase in torque, it's just..smoother. The car is, for all intents and purposes, woken the HELL up. Highway driving is a thousand times more fun :-D

I forsee a ticket in the near future. Getting up to and flying around at 90 is just FAR TOO EASY now.

Great tune, great CAI, fantastic experience! Thank you, Brenspeed!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Hey TedGamble,
How did you and Doug determine that you didn't have true 93 octane gas in your area? I recently purchased a 91 race tune from Doug and I am VERY happy with the throttle response and low end torque. However when I go wide open throttle its seems to bog down. Did you notice anything like this with the race tune? i.e. at part throttle my car seems stronger than if i go WOT.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

the bog your speaking of seems like your running lean and the motor is pulling timing
call/ or email them to see if they can revise the tune
Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 PM
TedGamble
1st Gear Member

when I go wide open throttle its seems to bog down. Did you notice anything like this with the race tune? i.e. at part throttle my car seems stronger than if i go WOT.
That's exactly what I experienced. The car just seemed to bog down.

the bog your speaking of seems like your running lean and the motor is pulling timing. call/ or email them to see if they can revise the tune
Yep. Email him and explain how the engine is behaving. In only one attempt, he totally corrected it. He'll send you a re-do, and ask you if it's better or worse, and to describe how it's better or worse. From that point, he'll get it dead on for you.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I will write to Doug and explain it to him. I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced. I don't want Doug thinking I'm a whiner lol.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

The most time saving approach to the issues you may be experiencing is to have the car dyno'd

Make sure the shop can copy your pull to a cd for emailing to your tuner.

He will need to see the hp, tq and a/f.

Adjustments will be made in your tune at the troubled areas and then emailed back to you for loading into the car.

Canned tunes (mail order) can only get you close, custom tunes "nail it".

One of these days a tuner will start performing remote custom tuning via the internet. For you guys that are computer savy.........you know what I talking about.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Awesome thread, thanks Ted. I was planning on going with the Brenspeed 91 tune and am now sure of it. Thanks again!

Steve
Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Phil Coleman

Going to Breenspeed this week for 490r package on my 06 supercharged. After reading this I will be asking alot more questions about the tune. Thanks

Quick Reply: Tune Review: Brenspeed 93 Octane vs. BamaChips 93 Race