Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Tune Review: Brenspeed 93 Octane vs. BamaChips 93 Race

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
TedGamble
1st Gear Member

Default Tune Review: Brenspeed 93 Octane vs. BamaChips 93 Race

I have an '08 Mustang GT with a manual transmission. I have done nothing to the car other than replacing the stock exhaust with Flowmaster American Thunder axle-backs. No rear-gear swap, or anything else.

About a month ago, I installed a JLT CAI with Brenspeed's custom tunes. After using Brenspeed's 93 octane tune for a couple of weeks, I ordered BamaChips' 93 Race tune. What follows are my observations of the two tunes, in hopes that the if anyone is "on the fence" as to which tune to purchase, perhaps this will help.

My observations are not based on anything scientific other than my "seat of the pants" feel. I have not timed any runs, been on a dyno, or anything else like that.

First of all, BOTH tunes are tons of fun. They both transform the car into something with totally different. Both provide noticable torque differences compare to stock.

To me (at least the way they affected my car), it really comes down to where you prefer your torque. Bama's tune is noticably stronger in the lower RPM range (up to 3k). Brenspeed's tune is noticably very tame in that range, but once the engine hits 3k, Brenspeed's tune really comes alive. Someone earlier posted that it feels like a turbo kicks in. Mine feels like that. It's not a snap your head back burst, but it definitely puts a smile on my face.

At first, I was a little disappointed in the low end of the Brenspeed tune, to the point that I emailed them to ask if what I was feeling was right. Their response was the engine does not make much power in the lower RPM range, so they specifically target the 3k and higher range. They went on to say that the engine makes it max power between 5k and 5.5k. Given that, they suggested that if anyone desired more lower end torque, that a rear gear swap would help, because it would help the engine get up to the higher RPM range quicker.

Some people have commented that they feel the Bama race tune is too touchy on the throttle. I don't feel that way. There is definitely more immediate torque on the low end, but it is not "touchy", and it is not difficult to get used to. I like it.

Once the engine revs above 4k, this is where the Brenspeed tune seems to come to life. While running at constant speed in 3rd gear with the engine between 3k and 4k, if I floor it, the car will seriously push you back in the seat. The Bama tune has plenty of power in that RPM range also, but on the high end, the Brenspeed tune seems to outshine the Bama tune.

If you were to actually time these tunes at a track, I'd have to think that they would come out nearly identical. The Bama tune would spin you up faster on the low end, and pull less hard on the top end. The Brenspeed tune would take a little longer to hit the power band, but once it gets there, it would probably make up the difference. Just to give you a real-world non-technical feel, with either tune I can turn onto an interstate on ramp in second gear (making the turn at about 20 mph), floor it, shift into third at around 5.5k. When I then hit 5.5k in third (with either tune), the speedo is passing 80 mph fairly quickly and bumps up to 100 before I finish the shift into 4th.

So, at least in my opinion, it really comes down to your driving habits and personal preference. I don't think you'll be disappointed in either tune. The Bama tune has more low RPM torque, and is more consistent through the entire range, although is seems to let up ever-so-slightly on the top end. The Brenspeed tune is very very tame on the low end, but really comes alive (to the point where you can tell it with your eyes closed) when you cross the 3k line.

Gas mileage seems to be about the same with both tunes.

The Flowmasters definitely pick up some extra growl with the CAI and either tune.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by TedGamble; 01-14-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I wonder if Bamachips 91/93 performance tune would be similar to Brenspeed's 91/93 tune, as the Bamachips perfomance tunes are supposed to excel at 3K and above.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
TedGamble
1st Gear Member

I wonder if Bamachips 91/93 performance tune would be similar to Brenspeed's 91/93 tune, as the Bamachips perfomance tunes are supposed to excel at 3K and above.
If we interpret what is on Bama's descriptions of his tunes on the website, I'd say probably.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:53 AM
snkebitel
1st Gear Member

very interesting
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As I only have Brenspeed 87, 89 and 93 octane tunes, I can't speak for Bama's tunes. However, I fully agree with your assesement of the Brenspeed 93 tune. In my case, I find my Brenspeed 93 tune to have better high end response (I also notice the "kick" around 3500-4000 RPM) whereas my 89 tune has better low end response but still is decent when I wind her up. Since I only use the custom 87 when I'm on the road and can't get anything higher than 87 (once in a blue moon?), I can only say that the custom 87 is still hands above the stock 87.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I had a similar experience with the Bamachips vs Brenspeed tunes on this 09 manual. Both good, but different. I will say however, that on my 07 automatic, the Bamachips tune was superior hands down.

The one thing I've noticed on both cars now, is that the 91 octane tunes actually feel stronger. Even with this Vortech setup now, I like the 91 tune better than the 93. It has been consistent now in all 3 cases where I've had both tunes across 2 cars. Strange...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

hey ted gamble i would love to feel your 93 race tune. send me a pm. im still trying to figure out who to send my tuner to at the end of the month. and you have the tunes i would love to feel.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

that is very true about the brenspeed 93 tune.........but try the brenspeed 91 tune. its super torquey down low, its the tune i use for daily driving because its really friendly to regular driving, low end torque feels about the same as my dad's CLS550, which has a 5.4 liter........you can goose the throttle the same way and it'll just MOVE.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 AM
TedGamble
1st Gear Member

.........but try the brenspeed 91 tune. its super torquey down low, its the tune i use for daily driving because its really friendly to regular driving
Hmmm. Interesting. My Brenspeed CAI/Tuner package came with 87, 91, and 93 tunes. I started with the 93 (really liked it), then tried the 87 (did not like that one compared to the 93), then ordered the Bama 93 race. I never did try the 91. Looks like I have more testing to do.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
TedGamble
1st Gear Member

I just went out and loaded Brenspeed's 91 octane tune and went for a short drive.

My initial impression confirms what AmericanMuscle4.6GT said. It definitely seems more torquey than the Brenspeed 93 tune below 3k. It seems that Brenspeed has moved to peak of the power curve down some (right into the sweet spot for me).

The car has real good torque in the 2k-4k range now. It is still less torquey than Bama's 93 Race tune below 2k. It seems to have about the same torque as Bama's 93 Race tune in the 2k-4k range, but the nice thing is that it still has most (not quite all, but most) of the kick that Brenspeed's 93 tune has above 4k (which is where Bama's 93 Race tune starts to drop off slightly).

It will take some more driving to confirm all of this, but right now, this seems like the most fun of all. It has good low end torque in the normal driving range (2k-4k), and that little extra boost on the high end.

Quick Reply: Tune Review: Brenspeed 93 Octane vs. BamaChips 93 Race