Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI and tune question

Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 AM
1bad65
1st Gear Member

Default CAI and tune question

I plan on getting a CAI and tune on my 07 GT. The CAI alone is about $300 cheaper than with a tuner. Would it be wise to buy the CAI only and have a licensed mechanic do the tune in order to save money? Or should I buy the CAI and tune package?

Also, the mechanic I'll go to is knowledgable on aftermarket Mustang things. He has an 09GT he is hopping up, and most of the local Mustang clubs guys recommend him.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Buy them together or if you have to choose, get either a sct or diablo tuner and get a tune from Brenspeed, Bamachips, or Tilman. You will get more power out of the tuner and you can make adjustment to such things as gearing or tire revs, if you decided to get new gears or tires.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I would recommend a package from someone like Brenspeed. Package will include the CAI and provide 3 different tunes for the different octane levels.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM
sugarandopium
2nd Gear Member

Even get a predator if youre on a budget.
The generic tunes loaded in that will make a night and day difference!
The CAI itself dosen't make a big difference in the feel of the car, the tune does.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Haha I was in your boat about a year ago. Took me months to figure out which one I wanted, and which tune route I wanted to go. Luckily, I got the JLT2 intake and tuner from brenspeed, and honestly, it was the easiest, fastest, and most effective mod I've gotten thus far. Like stated above, the difference was night and day. IMO, if you just get the cai and not the tune, its like getting a computer without a monitor...USELESS

If you have any questions PM me, I'll be happy to help ya out
Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Oh, and please do the freakin install yourself. Its like 4 bolts and one hose clamp...and included is an instruction manual. Even an ape could do it without difficulty
Old 01-18-2009, 01:36 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

All good responses, however, I'm not sure the OP's original question has been answered. I think he's trying to figure out whether or not he can skip getting the handheld tuner if he goes to a speed shot to have it tuned.

Now, I don't know the answer to this, but I assumed that even the speed shops would need the customer to buy one of the handheld tuners before being able to tune their car. I've never had anything but a "mail order" tune, so I wouldn't know.

Can we hear from some of the guys that have had custom dyno tunes?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 AM
1bad65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
All good responses, however, I'm not sure the OP's original question has been answered. I think he's trying to figure out whether or not he can skip getting the handheld tuner if he goes to a speed shot to have it tuned.

Now, I don't know the answer to this, but I assumed that even the speed shops would need the customer to buy one of the handheld tuners before being able to tune their car. I've never had anything but a "mail order" tune, so I wouldn't know.

Can we hear from some of the guys that have had custom dyno tunes?
You're correct. I will get a CAI and a tune, I just want to pay the speed shop for the tune rather than an extra $300 for a tuner. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone this route, and their results.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:16 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1bad65
I plan on getting a CAI and tune on my 07 GT. The CAI alone is about $300 cheaper than with a tuner. Would it be wise to buy the CAI only and have a licensed mechanic do the tune in order to save money? Or should I buy the CAI and tune package?

Also, the mechanic I'll go to is knowledgable on aftermarket Mustang things. He has an 09GT he is hopping up, and most of the local Mustang clubs guys recommend him.
Getting the CAI and tune will be the most beneficial and cheapest mod you'll buy.

Read these articles before deciding on a CAI. The JLT is a good choice for performance.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...kit/index.html

You will not be able to install a CAI without getting a tune also. The car will run too lean.

Anyway you look at it, your in for spending approx $800. This is cheap for a 25hp gain.

No disrespect to your mechanic, but what is required is that he be one heck of a Ford Mustang tuner.

Stick with this sites Ford Tuning supporters and you cant go wrong.

After the install of the CAI and Tune you will be in for one heck of a surprise with the way your car runs.

I run the 93 Octane Race Tune in my daily driver and its a blast.

Last edited by GT John; 01-18-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Ray's 08 GT

Yes. You still need a tuner to upload the tune to your computer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI and tune question