Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

For those with the JLT intake...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Default For those with the JLT intake...

So I'm driving downt the street the other day and all the sudden I get this violent bucking & hesitation. I thought I blew my engine but. I started thinking I either had bananas in my tailpipe or something was wrong with the intake and/or fuel delivery.

I found that my JLT intake tube had partially come off of the elbow connecting it to the throttle body. Be aware of this if you have the same issue and keep and eye on it. I removed it and took some sand paper and scuffed up the edge so the rubber elbow would grab it better since the JLT is glossy smooth finish. Even if you haven't had a problem, you may want to tighten the screw down with a small wrench instead of a screwdriver to get a little more torque on the one hose clamp holding it on.

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

First I've heard of it with the JLT. I think this goes for all aftermarket intakes. Good to check the connections maybe every time you change your oil. Seen several posts about Steedas doing this as well.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clearym
So I'm driving downt the street the other day and all the sudden I get this violent bucking & hesitation. I thought I blew my engine but. I started thinking I either had bananas in my tailpipe or something was wrong with the intake and/or fuel delivery.

I found that my JLT intake tube had partially come off of the elbow connecting it to the throttle body. Be aware of this if you have the same issue and keep and eye on it. I removed it and took some sand paper and scuffed up the edge so the rubber elbow would grab it better since the JLT is glossy smooth finish. Even if you haven't had a problem, you may want to tighten the screw down with a small wrench instead of a screwdriver to get a little more torque on the one hose clamp holding it on.

Cheers!
I just installed a JLT this weekend and while I haven't had any issues yet, the connection that you're speaking of has me a little concerned as well. I've checked it a few times so far, just to be on the safe side.... it's been fine every time, but it just seems like the connection isn't as 'solid' as it should be.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

had mine on for about 12k not one issue.