Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

engine noice please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

Default engine noice please help

noice# 1-i have this slight nock sound every morning when i start the car.it only happens with the car cold once it gets up to regular temp the knock goes away.
noice#2- this one really bothers me.when i accelerate from a stop i get this noice that sounds like if i have a chain draggin.the noice will go all the way from 1st gear to 3rd and then goes away,sometimes it only does it in 1st and 2nd sometimes is louder than other times but i noticed that is allways when going from a stop.
please shed some light on me on what could this noices be and how can i get rid of them.
i went to a shop about a week ago and he said that it can be the pulleys making noice but before i go and change them i would like to see if anyone has ever experience something like this and how did you get it fix.

Last edited by 08GT4U; 02-10-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:00 PM
RickSwope

Spell check, hello.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

dude your first post and that is what you wrote.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Are you running a tune in your car? If you are return it to stock and see if the noise goes away.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
RickSwope

Sorry, it was assaulting my senses. Here is the translation:

Noise #1 - I have this slight knocking sound every morning when I start the car. It only happens with the car cold, once it gets up to regular temp the knock goes away.

Noise #2 - This one really bothers me. When I accelerate from a stop I get this noise that sounds like I have a chain dragging. The noise will go all the way from 1st gear to 3rd gear and then goes away. Sometimes it only does it in 1st and 2nd, sometimes its louder than other times, but I noticed that it is always when going from a stop.

Please shed some light on what these noises could be and how can I get rid of them. I went to a shop about a week ago and he said that it can be the pulleys making noise but before I go and change them I would like to see if anyone has ever experience something like this and how did you get it fixed.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

RICVA05 its been doing it since before i tuned the car,heck its been doing it since i bought the car just that lately it has gotten worst.i have switch between tunes many times and the noise is always there.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

thank you proffessor but if it bother you so much the way i write. why keep coming back to my thread?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RickSwope
Sorry, it was assaulting my senses. Here is the translation:

Noise #1 - I have this slight knocking sound every morning when I start the car. It only happens with the car cold, once it gets up to regular temp the knock goes away.

Noise #2 - This one really bothers me. When I accelerate from a stop I get this noise that sounds like I have a chain dragging. The noise will go all the way from 1st gear to 3rd gear and then goes away. Sometimes it only does it in 1st and 2nd, sometimes its louder than other times, but I noticed that it is always when going from a stop.

Please shed some light on what these noises could be and how can I get rid of them. I went to a shop about a week ago and he said that it can be the pulleys making noise but before I go and change them I would like to see if anyone has ever experience something like this and how did you get it fixed.

Maybe you need to do a little proof reading yourself.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Getting back to the issue (keep fighting over his spelling, morons)...

The knock (if it's what I think it is from your description) on start-up could be oil starvation. You don't mention what engine you have but you need to be sure you have the right viscosity oil in the crankcase. From your user name, I'll assume it's the 4.6L so 5W-20 is what's recommended.

The chain dragging noise could be a number of things but my first thoughts are engine ping. Since you've changed the tune and it still occurs, it MAY not be that UNLESS you're using too low an octane fuel. Have you tried a higher octane (93) to see if it goes away? Otherwise it could be anything from a rattling heat shield to a loose exhaust clamp... you name it.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

After some additional thought...

Regarding noise #2, try to take note if it occurs in a specific RPM range. There were a rash of threads in the past regarding a "rattle" of sorts around 1800-2200 RPM (the RPM range varied for each individual) attributed to heat shields and the axle back pipe clamps. The RPM range in which it occurs may give a clue to the cause.

Quick Reply: engine noice please help