Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.10 auto!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 4.10 auto!

Well, FINALLY got them installed after debating these or 3.73s.

So far, putting around town, staying usually only 40mph. I noticed.. it's very much like STOCK.

No whine, no jerking, no problems so far at 20miles on the new gears.

I re-installed the custom bama race tune, changed the 'rear end gear option' on the tuner, waiting until I get through the 500 mile break in period.

So far.. so good.

Got up to 50 mph once, rpms hovered around 1800.. no biggie.

Strictly cruising though, haven't WOT shifted just yet.

I'll keep a journal to post up results thus far.. next up,dual 3inch exhaust cut outs, Steeda full race delete plates,and Under drive pullies...

Last edited by stealth_GT; 04-15-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Nice.. i want 4.10's in my car so bad.. Do you have to wait the 500 miles for break in? I have heard both ways..Thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 08:19 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Did you have Doug re-write your tune for the gears? If not, you need to.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:51 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

No not yet, I am still waiting for the new tune. I have been driving slow all morning and gonna keep it pretty slow til I get it.

Though the SCTx3 with the old bama race tune and the options corrected, seems to shift better then without it. Then again, I hadn't really stomped on it yet.. who knows, it'll most likely shift all weird at WOT lol.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 04-15-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless06
Nice.. i want 4.10's in my car so bad.. Do you have to wait the 500 miles for break in? I have heard both ways..Thanks
ditto.. I am gonna play it safe and do the 500 mile break in. I'll take a trip out of the city tonight to put some more miles on her.

It's cool because it feels just like stock crusing around town- but when I get to about 50-55, the RPMs do stay a bit higher (1500-1550) but then again that's with the speedo uncorrected.

No biggie, I can deal with that, from a deadstop- this thing should be a beast!
Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

break in period? why? They dont have break-in period on a ring-and-pinion on a new car.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

maybe it stands for 'breaking period', as in- if something breaks between 500 miles of being driven, I can take it back for a repair lol.

Honestly though I really don't know, never driven a car with new gears before, just wanna play it safe for a bit... Ignant, I know..

(-:
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
break in period? why? They dont have break-in period on a ring-and-pinion on a new car.
A break-in period for the R&P may not be separately described in the new car literature, but that does not mean that the gears are fully broken-in from the get-go. Things like gears need a little time under relatively light load in order to get the surfaces that bear up against each other friendly with each other on the microscopic level. During this time, tiny bits of metal are worn off or otherwise "worked", which adds a lot of heat. You don't want this "wearing-in" to generate so much heat that the original heat treatment of the parts in question is adversely affected, locally overheated, or the fluid overheated and burnt.

I suppose I'll have to check my owner's manual later to see exactly what it says about a "break-in period" in general. But for now anyway, the 5 miles or so that your car may show at delivery is nowhere near enough to consider the gears fully broken in at that time.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-15-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
What he said.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:24 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Well, FINALLY got them installed after debating these or 3.73s.

So far, putting around town, staying usually only 40mph. I noticed.. it's very much like STOCK.

No whine, no jerking, no problems so far at 20miles on the new gears.

I re-installed the custom bama race tune, changed the 'rear end gear option' on the tuner, waiting until I get through the 500 mile break in period.

So far.. so good.

Got up to 50 mph once, rpms hovered around 1800.. no biggie.

Strictly cruising though, haven't WOT shifted just yet.

I'll keep a journal to post up results thus far.. next up,dual 3inch exhaust cut outs, Steeda full race delete plates,and Under drive pullies...

You will want to get back with Doug, the shift and torque converter scheduling will have to be changed to reflect the new rear end gears. In automatics there is a lot more to do than just telling the computer you have 4:10's now.

Later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.10 auto!