Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Newbie needs advice on a mod plan!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

Cool Newbie needs advice on a mod plan!

So I've been browsing alot lately and there's soo much to do with my '05 GT that it's almost mind boggling. I'm not super mechanically inclined. I installed my spectre CAI myself and can do an oil change. But not too too much more after that although with a guide I could be alright. But the thing is I'm trying to come up with a plan of mods I got a list but from there I don't know what combination of these will work best and what brands are the most preferred. But here's the things I want to accomplish over the next year. Hopefully someone can provide on what will give me the most bang for my buck as I don't want a mod to feel like I wasted money on.
-Headers
-Mid pipe
-Tuner
-UDP's
-Cams
-Gears
Remember for now I only want advice on performance mods not cosmetic touches. Out of those mods listed what would be a good path to go and what order. I already have American thunder axle back exhaust with a spectre CAI. Which by the way is throwing a code right now because I don't have a tuner for it. Also I want the cams to be good for a DD. So no rough idle would be preferred and I also need to be able to pass inspections as well. If anyone can help give their honest two cents it would be HUGELY appreciated as I start to slowly mod this beast!!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM
officespace56
1st Gear Member

My mods I did in order:
FRPP Stingers
CAI/Tune
Shifter
LT Headers

I had never worked on a car before this and I have done all of these installs in my garage. You would be surprised on how much help these forums can provide you to get through your installs. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:17 PM
2007Vert
1st Gear Member

1. Tuner is a must.
2. 4.10a gears
3. NSR Stage II cams
4. Lt headers and X-pipe
5. Shifter
6. UDP

The most bang for your buck will be the tuner with a good tune from someone like Brenspeed. Hope this helps...
Old 05-22-2009, 03:23 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

Okay I'm gonna put gears and cams on hold until next year. What I want to accomplish this summer and fall is finishing my exhaust , pullies , and a tune. I was looking at this site and it has a package.
http://www.brenspeed.com/bbklongpack.html
Would this be a good set-up minus the mufflers. I already have American thunder axle backs so I could subtract the mufflers? Anyways is the high flow catted X-Pipe a bolt on mod?? Also Will I still be able to run the car without a tune for a short while until afterwards so I can get the mods on first then have the tuner ordered with my mods already in place?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:18 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TekMan05
So I've been browsing alot lately and there's soo much to do with my '05 GT that it's almost mind boggling. I'm not super mechanically inclined. I installed my spectre CAI myself and can do an oil change. But not too too much more after that although with a guide I could be alright. But the thing is I'm trying to come up with a plan of mods I got a list but from there I don't know what combination of these will work best and what brands are the most preferred. But here's the things I want to accomplish over the next year. Hopefully someone can provide on what will give me the most bang for my buck as I don't want a mod to feel like I wasted money on.
-Headers
-Mid pipe
-Tuner
-UDP's
-Cams
-Gears
Remember for now I only want advice on performance mods not cosmetic touches. Out of those mods listed what would be a good path to go and what order. I already have American thunder axle back exhaust with a spectre CAI. Which by the way is throwing a code right now because I don't have a tuner for it. Also I want the cams to be good for a DD. So no rough idle would be preferred and I also need to be able to pass inspections as well. If anyone can help give their honest two cents it would be HUGELY appreciated as I start to slowly mod this beast!!

For the money you are going to spend on that stuff plus install, why not just get a supercharger?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:47 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

The only thing I need install help as far as a shop is gears and cams. Me and a friend are capable of doing the rest. That is as long as the mid pipe and high flow cats is all bolt on!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:20 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

First mods...

CAI/Tune
Gears
exhaust

period.

If you have an auto - then add TC on that list and add clutch/flywheel combo if you are a manual.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Hey TekMan,

Check the thread "300RWHP- Mission Accomplished, Much Learned" I think it will help you with the upcoming decisions you've got to make. Personally I would say CAI, tune, shifter, and gears and leave it at that. Best bang for you buck and will make the car a lot more fun to drive.

Steve
Old 05-26-2009, 02:00 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

Okay I'll check that out! Thanks everyone for the advice all of it is appreciated!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

Well I think I'm gonna settle for a set of BBK Ceramic coated LT's with the Catted X pipe from Brenspeed along with an SCT 3 Tuner.. http://www.brenspeed.com/16410.html I've been thinking about this for a while and thinking about making the move I've already got American Thunder mufflers and a spectre CAI. Would this be a good purchase? And what basic tools would I need for this project?

Quick Reply: Newbie needs advice on a mod plan!