Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

does automatic or maual really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Houstons_Problem

Talking

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
Ah, I thought you were implying that you could shift faster than an auto. I get what you meant now.
I also didn't say that I am pretty stubborn and nothing would stop me from trying to beat you in an auto on a drag strip.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
provofam
1st Gear Member

I'm probably one of those guys that looks at another musclecar and see's the auto and goes "too bad it's not a manual". It's just because when I look at other cars I like, I think about what it would be like to drive it. I've always enjoyed driving a manual so when I see a car I really like I always like seeing it as a standard. Goofy I know but I can't help myself. As far driving in traffic, I live in the suburbs of Chicago and drive in traffic quite a bit, but I still enjoy my manual. My first car was a 71' 340 Dodge Demon and it had an auto. I loved the hell out of that car and still wish I had it today, but I do remember wishing that it was a manual at the time I owned it. I really don't have anything against auto's it's just that I prefer being able to do the shifting myself. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it's your car and as long as you enjoy it (manual or auto) who cares.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
cmdr_anomic

my only problem with auto's is when you are doing 50mph and floor it then feel it go from 4th-3rd-SECOND!!!!!!!!!!! i dont have an auto in my stang so i dont know if they do this, but hiting a corner and have the cur lurch through a couple gears really pisses me off.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:40 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

^^ you can just downshift into 3rd and it gets it right in the power band (@50mph)

It's obviously not as precise as an actual standard but it works better then just flooring it when you need extra power ( but not all the power to the wheels at once lol.)

It's annoying though because depending on the speed/downshift/gear the tires might lurch violently because of excessive engine braking. Just gotta be aware of how the auto reacts.