Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

does automatic or maual really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 AM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Default does automatic or maual really matter?

we are all mustang lovers....why people with maual always give a **** to autos?
maybe because auto can't express what the V8 really looks like???? i know it has a better feeling than auto when shift.. but not all people like to shift after their heavy work....
Old 05-20-2009, 03:03 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Until you drive a clutch car you will never understand. The feeling of a perfect rev-match downshift draws wood.

Oh and please work on your grammar.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 05-20-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

i never thought it was right to discriminate against autos and manuals

however, the reason i didn't like the auto when i was initially searching for my car was that i didn't like the way it looked. the other reason was that i wanted to tackle manual, so there was some bias.

i think as long as you love the car, who gives a siht
Old 05-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

I used to go on and on about about this subject. If you like driving a manual drive one. If you prefer the auto drive one. We all have our reasons for our own preferences. If I had a '70 Chevelle SS LS6 454 or '71 Hemi 'Cuda I would prefer the TH400 and the 727 Torqueflite for the same reasons ROTM mentioned. If we're talking modern musclecars (although mine is a dinosaur) it's manny all the way. I've given up trying to justify what is better and why. I don't give a rusty fvck what anyone else has in their car, all I care about is what transmission I have in my cars. My DD will probably always be an auto and my weekend warrior will always be a stick. Both serve a purpose in making driving more enjoyable for entirely different reasons...

Last edited by Baddog; 05-20-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Your right arm will never be as fast as a torque converter, but standards sure make driving fun. It's a wash.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yes, it matters to the car's owner. It all depends on what YOU, the driver, thinks.

Manuals can be a PITA in traffic. But I love my manual.
Autos can be boring. But my g/f loves her auto.
Everyone is happy.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
Your right arm will never be as fast as a torque converter, but standards sure make driving fun. It's a wash.
This.

If you're going to be taking the car to a drag strip every chance you get then the auto is what you want. Manuals kinda blow at the drag strip for a variety of reasons.

They are IMO more fun to drive however and they do take more skill to operate.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Does anybody know which one is more costly to repair if we run into tranny problems?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Probably depends on what breaks and how. A clutch is gonna be $300-400 for a stock part I imagine. Labor generally runs as much if not a bit more. But if something other than the clutch goes it could cost quite a bit more depending.

I've seen auto transmissions rebuilt before and it was always real spendy. $1000+ for a rebuild.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I think it's because most driving enthusiasts considering 'driving' the car with any skill takes a manual, where as you just step on the gas with the auto and go takes very little.

I used to drive only 5 speeds in the past, but changed over to the auto witht the GT. I prefer it over the manuals, I still get shiet over it being an auto but I could care less. They might think it's slow for it but wait til I run 11s SCd... then tell me it's slow! lol..

Quick Reply: does automatic or maual really matter?