Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

How To: Change Differential Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Thanks so much for creating this write-up!!!! It's terrific.

I changed mine last Sunday, two weeks after my gear upgrade, and it went real smooth.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:44 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scott4.6
you dont need to add the 4 oz s of friction stuff, rp already has it in it.
I am about to do this, curious if the above is true?

I looked for some friction modifier but I couldn't find anything that said it was XL-3 locally and if Royal Purple doesn't need it that would be one less thing to worry about.

Edit: According to the RP site you don't need the friction modifier - http://royalpurple.com/faqs-transmission.html

2nd Edit: Got done, easy as pie. I didn't use any tubing, though I did have it on a rack with the rear end dropped down which gave me enough space to bit the bottle at a slight angle above the driveshaft.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 01-14-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by degeze
Glad I could help out fellow MFers , and thanks Cameron.

candymanjl- I have heard nothing but good things about Redline lubricants, but let me tell you I changed my tranny fluid out a few weeks back to Royal Purple Synchromax and love it. The tranny temp has gone down, it's quieter and smoother shifts are awesome.

As far as the drain plug, I don't know what Ford was thinking .
Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed a big drop in transmission temps with the synchromax.

If anyone doesn't want to use RTV for the cover, you can get a nice reusable gasket here.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52416_110.htm

I put that on when I had my 4.10's installed many moons ago and it will probably outlast the car.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
I am about to do this, curious if the above is true?

I looked for some friction modifier but I couldn't find anything that said it was XL-3 locally and if Royal Purple doesn't need it that would be one less thing to worry about.

Edit: According to the RP site you don't need the friction modifier - http://royalpurple.com/faqs-transmission.html

2nd Edit: Got done, easy as pie. I didn't use any tubing, though I did have it on a rack with the rear end dropped down which gave me enough space to bit the bottle at a slight angle above the driveshaft.
I would still get a bottle of the ford stuff from your dealer. I tried just the royal purple and it was noisy as hell when turning.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed a big drop in transmission temps with the synchromax.
Absolutely, I know other people that have noticed it too.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

While you're under there, and you notice some oil residue on the passenger side axle, you could change the axle vent. Ford has a TSB on it and the dealer sells them - I think I paid ~ $70. The factory vent is a small assembly on top of the axle (about 1/2" round and 1/2" high) and is about 1/2 way between the diff and the brakes . The new one looks sort of like a fuel priming bulb and it is designed to catch the oil vapor and allow it to drip back into the axle thus avoiding the oil mess on the axle. It is working so far.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM
hawaiian-mustang

Is it really nessesary to add the additive or can I just use the gear oil?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 PM
JimC

If you don't use the additive you will get noises from the clutch packs and they will cause chatter - and slowly break your rear end while you hear the noises. It is required.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 PM
brownb2

Do anyone have any thoughts about Valvoline 75w140
Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 AM
Pbreakall

Thanks for this awesome instructions!!! After reading it over a few times I was fully confident in doing it with no help or review!!

I used royal purple and the additive. Only took me about 1 hour. I had a problem filling it back up, but I got a pump and it worked great. I had a little trouble getting the case back on without touching the gasket to the gears, but going very slowly and entering from the passenger side I was able to get it on without touching.

I used the orange hi temp gasket maker

Quick Reply: How To: Change Differential Fluid