Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Why are my plugs fouled after JLT & Brenspeed tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

Default Why are my plugs fouled after JLT & Brenspeed tune?

Ok,

At 28,900 I went through the nightmare of replacing the OEM two piecers with the Champion one piecers.

Car seems to have run fine since.

Between then and now I switched out a BBK CAI for a JLT CAI along with a custom tune from Brenspeed.

The tune was requested to accomodate:

JLT CAI
BBK throttle body
Steeda UDP
93 Octane

At 33,000 miles (about 1,000 since the JLT/Brenspeed change) the plugs look like this....

Covered in carbon and wet. All of them and pretty consistently across all eight plugs.

Is this a mixture problem? Is this something Brenspeed can alter in the tune?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Brenspeed should be able to address this. Give them a call and send them a pic of the plugs.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:22 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

I emailed Brent and sent the pic. I will post with the outcome.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

That doesnt look fouled to me. Could you show a better closeup? You want to look at the ground strap and the electrode. The rusty color is from the additives in the gasoline.

The stuff on the sleeve is the carbon-buildup (primarily from oil ingestion from PCV during closed throttle) which is exactly the reason your original plugs would break. If you take the intake off I bet you find about a quart in it. It gets worse with time (carbon build-up on plugs) as more and more oil pools in the intake. Fresh PCV Valve and cleaning out the intake will help for a little while but a catch can is the fix.

PS The buildup on those shields almost looks like someone forgot to put anti-seize on them when they installed them. Of course they are not likely to break but it sure makes them ugly in short order.

Last edited by Gene K; 07-24-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

Thanks Gene. You're dead on.

The Brenspeed guys has the same exact input. Too much STP (which I suppose I should just stop using if I buy good gas and take care of her) and that crappy PCV-Valve-less system that throws oil back into the manifold.

So I took the manifold off...good God! The CMCV plates may as well have been the back of the bacon griddle at the Waffle House.

I cleaned it all up carefully with carb cleaner (leaving the heads alone) and have ordered new plugs and a Moroso catch can kit with proper hoses and fittings.

Is there anything else (design wise) that I should make plans to overcome before I stumble onto it? I want have my stang for decades!