Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush short shifter review

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Default Roush short shifter review

I installed a Roush short shifter on my car with the billet shift lever and the white ball shifter. I measured the stock shifter throw at 4" for reference.

The install was the worst. I have installed suspensions, driveshafts, you name it, but this was the worst. There is a 10mm bolt that attaches the front on the shifter to the transmission that is in a very tight space in the trans tunnel. Make sure you have a ratcheting box wrench to get this thing out, because you can't get this thing out with a socket. When putting the new shifter in it is extremely difficult to thread the bolt back in without cross threading it. It literally took me 20 minutes on my back under the trans to get the bolt back in without cross threading it. Also, the Roush instructions say to remove and install the shifter from the bottom. I tried to get it out this way for about 10 minutes then gave up and removed it from the top. I can't see how you could get it past the driveshaft without dropping the driveshaft.

The shifter comes with a stubby shift lever that is the same size as the stock stick. The short lever can be unbolted and replaced with the taller billet lever. I first tried the billet stick and white ball for the retro look. Unfortunately when installed the billet stick is a full 3" taller than the stock shifter. With the billet stick the the throw is reduced to about 3" total travel. But imo it is too tall, looks wierd, and feels very wierd to shift. Like rowing a baseball bat in a barrel of coconuts. Literally, the shifter is so tall it just looks bad.

The new shifter lets a lot more nvh and drivetrain noise into the car. Which is good and bad ... bad because you can hear the rattly "gear rollover" noise inherent in the transmission. It is good because the sound coming from the shifter seems to blend with the sound from the sound tube and make it louder. Now on full throttle it sounds like the engine sound is in stereo across the entire dashboard and it sounds awesome.

I didn't like the look, the height of the billet stick, or the feeling of shifting so I switched to the short stick which is the same height as the stock shifter, but kept the white ****. This reduced the throw to 2" or about 50% from stock. The shifter clunks loudly when you shift into gear, but it is not notchy and feels very precise like a rifle bolt mechanism. The throw is very short and the shift effort is increased, but it is faster to shift compared to stock. When it clunks into gear it is very precise and it has loosened a little since install. Overall I am happiest with the short shift lever and the white ball. I get the retro look, and precise fast shifting. If you don't want the shift to be very short and don't want to put up with more noise, the Roush probably isn't for you. Also, imo the billet shift rod just does not look good at all when installed and makes the shift feel wierd. Here is a picture of the ball on the shorter lever:

If I had to do it over again I'd probably try the MGW because you can adjust the shift throw reduction and I've heard it is quieter. But there is no way I am going to try removing this shifter and reinstalling another.
Attached Thumbnails Roush short shifter review-knob.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Great write up, this will definitely help while I decide what short throw to get.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Bimmerbill
1st Gear Member

Nice!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Badbee

I looked at a 2010 Roush with the short shifter and it looked good at the increased height. Actually I like the higher shift lever and ball. It reminds me of the older Mustangs that had hurst shifters. Anyone have a hurst shifter in their 2010? If so what do you think and please post some pics if you have them. Thanks and Drive Safe.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I've been meaning to update this. I switched back to the billet shift lever. With the stock sized shifter it is much harder to shift and the effort to shift is too high causing you to shift slower and miss shifts. The billet lever has longer shifts, but is easier to move and shift faster. I'll just have to live with the height. The shifter has loosened up a lot since install and it is much more liveable now and I am happy with it.

Two more install tips, if you put dynamat around the opening in the body under the console it will quiet the drivetrain noise and vibration a lot. Also, it shifts smoother if you put a liberal amount of machine or gun oil on the shifter ball (the pivot ball under the console not the ****).

Here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Roush short shifter review-knob.jpg   Roush short shifter review-knob1.jpg  

Last edited by Blair; 08-12-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

would you consider taking a top down picture of that longer lever while in fifth gear? Im interested to see how close it is to the console. Thanks
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I can snap a picture tomorrow, but in 1-3-5 it is not close to the radio/ac console at all. In the picture the car is in first gear, looking top down the shift **** is even with the front chrome trim in the shifter bezel.

Blair

Last edited by Blair; 08-13-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

cool thanks.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM
2010 GRABBER GT

I've been looking at different shifter for my 2010, and the Roush w/ the taller shifter seems to be a good choic.. I see hurst and pro 5.0 has shifters too, anyone have or tried one? I can't deal with my horrible stock shifter much longer...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I'm actually happy with the stock shifter. It's smooth enough, there's no question what gear you are in, it isn't sloppy, and it's nearly short-throw.

Quick Reply: Roush short shifter review