Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission goes haywire, nearly wreck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:47 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Transmission goes haywire, nearly wreck!

I was on a straight away right at about 10mph, dropped it in 1st gear and floored it and kept it floored, I upshifted to 'D' ( around 4k rpm) as it was accelerating hard at WOT. I tried to slow down to brake but the tranny was stuck on accelerating! ( I was going about 45mph).There was no pressure on the gas pedal and when I tried to brake, it felt like it was pushing itself back up, not allowing me to brake. I pulled the e-brake up slightly to slow it down some, but it didn't work. I put it in 'N' and it revved the hell out of the car, redlining it. I put it in 'D' again and it went crazy going through all the gears as if I was flooring it, getting up to about 65mph this time. I re-gained control somewhat and the revs dropped but it still felt like it wanted to get up and go. The car was going straight the whole time and no cars were around. Relieved, I head home to retune/reinstall the tune. I thought something was definetly fried, but it turned out to be okay. Still a little wary of going WOT.. not sure what the hell happened. I am thinking the throttle sensors or whatever went haywire when I was manually shifting, keeping the throttle pinned as I was upshifting from '1' to 'D'.

Not sure, but that scared the crap out of me needless to say.

Thinking back, how harmful would it be to shut the car off while it was accelerating on it's own? will it cause a catastrophic malfunction??

It would be the only option, either that or wreck- because my car was seriously out of my control at that point...

Last edited by stealth_GT; 08-22-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I was on a straight away right at about 10mph, dropped it in 1st gear and floored it and kept it floored, I upshifted to 'D' ( around 4k rpm) as it was accelerating hard at WOT. I tried to slow down to brake but the tranny was stuck on accelerating! ( I was going about 45mph).There was no pressure on the gas pedal and when I tried to brake, it felt like it was pushing itself back up, not allowing me to brake. I pulled the e-brake up slightly to slow it down some, but it didn't work. I put it in 'N' and it revved the hell out of the car, redlining it. I put it in 'D' again and it went crazy going through all the gears as if I was flooring it, getting up to about 65mph this time. I re-gained control somewhat and the revs dropped but it still felt like it wanted to get up and go. The car was going straight the whole time and no cars were around. Relieved, I head home to retune/reinstall the tune. I thought something was definetly fried, but it turned out to be okay. Still a little wary of going WOT.. not sure what the hell happened. I am thinking the throttle sensors or whatever went haywire when I was manually shifting, keeping the throttle pinned as I was upshifting from '1' to 'D'.

Not sure, but that scared the crap out of me needless to say.

Thinking back, how harmful would it be to shut the car off while it was accelerating on it's own? will it cause a catastrophic malfunction??

It would be the only option, either that or wreck- because my car was seriously out of my control at that point...
Umm drag it to ford making them poke your TB and tell them you were normalily driving.. not gunning it...

But needless to say sounds like the is TB issue.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:49 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I am pretty sure it's my fault for dicking around with the shifter like that like an igiot.. it's an auto dammit, leave it in 'DRIVE'!! lol...
Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I am pretty sure it's my fault for dicking around with the shifter like that like an igiot.. it's an auto dammit, leave it in 'DRIVE'!! lol...
I still would take it to ford to find out if tb has any issues >_>
Old 08-22-2009, 08:28 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

do you think the TB is sticking?? I was at the track the other night for about 3 hours pretty much running every 15-30 minutes, then an hour drive back home (driving average highway speed)

I never had a problem before, I'll take it in next week ASAP.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

TB was definitely stuck. Had the same happen in my 90 mustang (spring needed some wd40).

Take it in to the dealer.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

you sure you didn't fat foot the pedals?

I've done that a few times in my 09 so far. I've had the clutch in about to downshift and I'll notice RPM's go up a bit...shift my foot over properly and the problem goes away
Old 08-23-2009, 07:28 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
you sure you didn't fat foot the pedals?

I've done that a few times in my 09 so far. I've had the clutch in about to downshift and I'll notice RPM's go up a bit...shift my foot over properly and the problem goes away
hmm.. "fat foot"?

my foot left the accelerator, I even had enough time to tap on it.. no pressure at all. Even the brakes were useless...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:53 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

I think TB problems are common on these cars??

Don't know for sure...all I know is that I had mine was replaced a year and a half ago because it was "faulty," according to Ford. Oh well, free parts.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yep, definitely does NOT sound like the tranny.

Quick Reply: Transmission goes haywire, nearly wreck!