Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Vortech mustang with problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Lightningtype

Default Vortech mustang with problem

Ive got a 05 mustang gt. I bought it with a vortech supercharger setup on it. The car was idling high. The shop it was at told me it was the mass air. For some reason they used my predator and pulled the custom tune out of the computer. Well a long story short it was not the mass air it was the throttle body was sticking.. Now im trying to get it tuned, but no matter what we do as soon as the car hits 4lbs of boost it goes lean. Ive changed everything and can not figure it out.At WOT the fuel pressure is right at 44psi and never drops until letting off of the throttle. Any clues. Thanks
Ive changed
1.Fuel filter
2.Fuel Injectors
3.Fuel rail
4.Shelby dual fuel pumps
5.DiabloSport MAFia
6.Cats
7.Mass air
8.flashed the stock computer
Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Who is tuning your car? They would be able to tell you if it is a tuning issue or a mechanical issue. If they can't, take it somewhere else. A data log, looked at by someone who knows what to look at, would tell you where to look for a solution.

IF you have any type of BAP or fuel sytem upgrade, I would trouble shoot it and check all the grounds, wire sizes and connections. This is usually where issues are found.

I think you wasted you money replacing all of those things unfortunately.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:58 PM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

You can send me that shelby fuel pump if you are going to throw it away:-)

We need more info. Who worked on the car (ie a friend, a pro shop, dealer, mustang shoe?) Did the problem start after the shop changed the MAF? Did it have the lean problem before or only after they touched the car? You need to lay out the what, where, and when better so we know the time line and how the car ran along that time line.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Lightningtype

Originally Posted by bynumj
You can send me that shelby fuel pump if you are going to throw it away:-)

We need more info. Who worked on the car (ie a friend, a pro shop, dealer, mustang shoe?) Did the problem start after the shop changed the MAF? Did it have the lean problem before or only after they touched the car? You need to lay out the what, where, and when better so we know the time line and how the car ran along that time line.
Some multi-purpose shop. The problem started when they took the custom tune out of the computer,had no problems before they took the tune out of the car. I had the factory computer flashed and I drove the car home from the ford dealership. With 60lb injectors,and the vortech, NO TUNE. On the way home I eased into the throttle the car didnt even go into limp mode.Ive checked every thing, unpluged wires, leaking hoses.But found nothing.Im out of ideas...
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 AM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lightningtype
Some multi-purpose shop. The problem started when they took the custom tune out of the computer,had no problems before they took the tune out of the car. I had the factory computer flashed and I drove the car home from the ford dealership. With 60lb injectors,and the vortech, NO TUNE. On the way home I eased into the throttle the car didnt even go into limp mode.Ive checked every thing, unpluged wires, leaking hoses.But found nothing.Im out of ideas...
It sounds like the shop you took the car to has no idea how the new mustang works. Did they tell you to change the injectors, fuel pump, and the rest? The car will not run without a proper tune. The stock tune will not work for you. If the shop did tell you to change everthing and it ends up being the tune, I would go back to them looking for at least all you money back for labor, the new tune, and ford service.

I have the V3 Vortech with a Brenspeed tune. I would call Brenspeed and see if they can help you with a tune. If they can not help you due to your predator, contact Bamachip and see if they will help. A local mustang shop that deals with new mustangs and superchargers may also help.

P.S. I would not drive the car at all without the right tune, you are asking for more problems. Good luck and let us know what you do.

Last edited by bynumj; 08-29-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Ive got a 05 mustang gt. I bought it with a vortech supercharger setup on it. The car was idling high. The shop it was at told me it was the mass air. For some reason they used my predator and pulled the custom tune out of the computer. Well a long story short it was not the mass air it was the throttle body was sticking.. Now im trying to get it tuned, but no matter what we do as soon as the car hits 4lbs of boost it goes lean. Ive changed everything and can not figure it out.At WOT the fuel pressure is right at 44psi and never drops until letting off of the throttle. Any clues. Thanks
Ive changed
1.Fuel filter
2.Fuel Injectors
3.Fuel rail
4.Shelby dual fuel pumps
5.DiabloSport MAFia
6.Cats
7.Mass air
8.flashed the stock computer

Can't you just reflash the "custom tune" back in ?? Should be saved on the hand held.

As far as the MAFia goes......do they know how to tune using it?? Depending on what # position is used, injector slopes, etc. need to be changed.

Casey
Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

After I had my V3 installed, I started to have the fuel issues also. Mine was still under warranty, but I had my TB replaced, my fuel pump and my Fuel Module in the trunk.

Two thoughts...have you checked your boost a pump settings?

...and I would call Brenspeed, those guys know V3's.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Don't you have the custom tune still?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Lightningtype

Originally Posted by Simon1
Don't you have the custom tune still?
No. They used my hand held and took the tune out.

Im going to try putting a new computer in the car and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

No. They used my hand held and took the tune out.

Im going to try putting a new computer in the car and see what happens.
Your hand held should have the tune saved in one of the "custom tune" slots. You can't just pull a custom tune out of the car/pcm with a handheld, then the tune disappears from the hand held.

Quick Reply: Vortech mustang with problem