Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Okay, now I have to ask about Tuners

Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Question Okay, now I have to ask about Tuners

I've bought a used Granatelli CAI for $150.00, shipping and all. No tune/r. I understand the fundamentals of a tuner, but what I know is from context and ashamed to admit, from watching movies. (Yeah, yeah, I know. The Fast and Furious TD, etc. so shoot me.)

Okay. I'm eyeballing the SCT tuners now from Brenspeed, b/c that's what everyone here seems to think is 'the thing to have'. However. The Granatelli I bought doesn't require a tune. If I DO Tune it, am I screwing up? Should I tune it? I know some say having the CAI w/out the tuner is a waste of money. That being said, is a tuner something I can buy later? Will I need an entirely different CAI if I do? Does it matter b/c I see SCT tuner kits on ebay with generic CAIs? (refer to my thread/post in the 4.6 General Discussion section for the convos about the Granatelli CAI) I am in need of heeellppp and wisdom here! LOL

Can anyone help me out? My 06 GT is a;; new to me. I know and love my 91 5.0 in the Nyghtmare, but it seems so very different from the 4.6 in the Cherry Bomb.

If you can point me in the right direction, I certainly don't mind reading up, I just don't know quite where to look to get definitive answers.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
I've bought a used Granatelli CAI for $150.00, shipping and all. No tune/r. I understand the fundamentals of a tuner, but what I know is from context and ashamed to admit, from watching movies. (Yeah, yeah, I know. The Fast and Furious TD, etc. so shoot me.)

Okay. I'm eyeballing the SCT tuners now from Brenspeed, b/c that's what everyone here seems to think is 'the thing to have'. However. The Granatelli I bought doesn't require a tune. If I DO Tune it, am I screwing up? Should I tune it? I know some say having the CAI w/out the tuner is a waste of money. That being said, is a tuner something I can buy later? Will I need an entirely different CAI if I do? Does it matter b/c I see SCT tuner kits on ebay with generic CAIs? (refer to my thread/post in the 4.6 General Discussion section for the convos about the Granatelli CAI) I am in need of heeellppp and wisdom here! LOL

Can anyone help me out? My 06 GT is a;; new to me. I know and love my 91 5.0 in the Nyghtmare, but it seems so very different from the 4.6 in the Cherry Bomb.

If you can point me in the right direction, I certainly don't mind reading up, I just don't know quite where to look to get definitive answers.

umm i would get a handheld that a local tunner supports so it can be usefull
Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Online, more people seem to sell tunes for SCT tuners than Diablo tuners. So I picked SCT for that reason.

You can benefit from a tune even though your particular CAI doesn't need it simply because the factory tune is super duper ultra conservative.

If you can find a deal on a better CAI, I'd get it (cough, I'll be selling mine in a 3-8 weeks because I'm getting a supercharger that goes in its place).

Your CAI doesn't require a tune because it is small and restricts airflow as much as the stock intake does. Getting a bigger CAI and the required tune to go with it = more power.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

When money permits, you should be able to tune the Granatelli intake. You dont need to replace it. If your getting a brenspeed tune, you'll need an SCT Xcal unit.

In regards to what Shanec said about the GMS intake being smaller, I dont know about that. I'm not familiar with its size. I would just give Brenspeed a call or email and ask them if its big enough. My guess is that if your just doing a tune and no engine work it will probably flow enough air to support their tune. I'd get that info from the tuner, not us yahoo's on the internet if you want to be absolutely sure.

Last edited by ffk_pennywise; 09-01-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default You yayhoos

Yeah, but you yayhoos (gotta put the Oklahoma twang on that for the full effect) have been SOOOOO helpful! I've learned so much about the 4.6 engines just by reading your threads then looking stuff up on the net...

And thank you, guys, for putting up with my loser comments and thread highjacking... I don't feel like such a weirdo here - most people expect me to talk about... girl... stuff. Not CAI's, hood scoops, flat black vs. glossy, etc. I don't know why, but car talk is still something women aren't supposed to talk about in public, let alone KNOW what they're talking about. At least this way, I learn my own car and know what I'm talking about. Eventually. LOL
Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Yeah this site is awesome. I didnt know squat about cars or even care too before I got my 07. I changed oil and brakes and that was it. Now I have a basic understanding of engines, etc. and can do so much more. Or at least I'm not scared to try. 2 years ago I had a little toolbox that you carry by hand with a few odds and ends in it. Now I have a 5' job full of stuff that gets used regularly. Thanks MF community! This is an expensive place to hang out. lol.

As for girls being into cars. I think its awesome. My wife wants a mustang now. She has a plan to get one in a few years when my cars paid off.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

And a long wait that always seems to be. I promised to not do anything to my 06 until my husband had his 69 100% complete.

Didn't happen. LOL
Old 09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not intimately familiar with the Granatelli CAI so it's best to check with Brenspeed on their thoughts since their tunes are optimized to the specifics of the CAI you have amongst other things. They'll be better equiped to explain if yours will gain a lot from a tune or if another CAI would be beneficial when you DO decide to get a tune. SOME CAI's that claim to not require a tune still have the potential of throwing a code so beware. As far as tuners, the Xcal is popular but there's nothing wrong with the Diablo. Those 2 are by far the more popular and typically supported by most dyno shops.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default And finding a dyno shop

This will be interesting, finding a dyno shop. LOL I don't have a clue where I'd find one in this area. I'm thinking I'd have to reach into Tulsa, Oklahoma City, or DFW to find one that know what they're doing....
Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
This will be interesting, finding a dyno shop. LOL I don't have a clue where I'd find one in this area. I'm thinking I'd have to reach into Tulsa, Oklahoma City, or DFW to find one that know what they're doing....
Look up local mustang meets in your area or find one, most likely you can find one at local meet they might point you the right way >=)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Okay, now I have to ask about Tuners