Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

cutting eibach springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:13 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Default cutting eibach springs

I have the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs on my 04 gt, and i'm thinking i'd like it just a tiny bit lower. Can these be cut just a little without an issues? I'm really looking to only drop it maybe another 1/4 to 1/2 inch max. The Pro Kit is supposed to have a 1.5 inch drop all around, but it doesn't seem like it to me.

The rest of the suspension is stock. Would i have to change anything at all?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Yes, you can cut your springs. Use a cut-off wheel and do not turn the spring orange (heat).

HOWEVER, BE SURE TO CHECK THAT YOU CAN KEEP THE CORRECT SPRING END. Most springs have a certain pigtail that fits into a control arm cradle OR onto a strut perch.

Also, determine how much you want to lower the car before cutting. Cutting a spring using the free length measurement will yield different results than if you're measuring the installed height.

You should have already swapped to stiffer and, possibly, shorter dampers. You may need to adjust your alignment angles after lowering it further (camber, toe {I don't think caster is adj.} and rear axle centerline).
Old 09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Do you realize you posted this in the 05+ section... Go home.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

+1 ^^

and I believe the eibach are progressive rate springs meaning they do NOT have the same dampening characteristics throughout the spring length like the stock ones do. If they have a tighter coil on one end vs the other, you do not want to cut them, you will affect the dampening characteristics and you will look like cholo driving down the street as your car bounces like a pogo stick over every bump you hit.

Last edited by Derf00; 09-08-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Hey guys thanks for the info. I'll have to dig a little deeper into this to find out what i might be getting into. I'm only interested in doing this if it doesn't require any other modifications.

I just now realized this is a 05+ section...sorry! Does anyone know how i can move this thread to the correct location?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Hey guys thanks for the info. I'll have to dig a little deeper into this to find out what i might be getting into. I'm only interested in doing this if it doesn't require any other modification
You can cut the springs with a cutting torch, yes. However, instead of just taking the word of us strangers on the Internet, why not just contact the spring company and ask them?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Screw all that. Cutting your springs is a horrible idea that is usually reserved for some under budgeted honda build. Cutting springs with either a cutting torch or cutting wheel will over heat the already heat-coiled springs, therefore changing the characteristics of the metal. Especially with progressive springs. They are engineered to be used as designed, not modified. I highly recommend that you use a different set of springs and other appropriate components to get the stance and performance you're really looking for.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Don't cut springs, ESPECIALLY if they are progressive rate springs like Eibachs.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:50 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Yeah, i looked into this some more, and realized it was a bad idea. I'll just get a set of sportlines or something, and do it right.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmarsh3014
Screw all that. Cutting your springs is a horrible idea that is usually reserved for some under budgeted honda build. Cutting springs with either a cutting torch or cutting wheel will over heat the already heat-coiled springs, therefore changing the characteristics of the metal. Especially with progressive springs. They are engineered to be used as designed, not modified. I highly recommend that you use a different set of springs and other appropriate components to get the stance and performance you're really looking for.
You've never used a cutting torch. Cutting torches have very localized heat that doesn't change any characteristics in the spring. In the very installation instructions from many coil spring manufacturers they even recommend cutting the springs. I've been cutting coil springs for 25 years with nothing but great results.

Old wives tales die hard.

Quick Reply: cutting eibach springs